Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Of Hids With Styling Kit Front Bumper (headlight Washer Issue)

Hi guys,

I've been reading with interest about all the HID kits. But I've also read that its a legal requirement to have headlight washers. I know ISs come with them as standard, but mine with the Lexus styling kit front bumper hasn't got them. I presume they couldn't be ar$ed to cut and fit them into the bumper. I know the guys with IS300s with the styling kit have had them fitted under warrenty, but because I havn't got HIDs as standard I don't think they'll do it for me.

Any advise would be great.

Gazza

What about police if I happen to pull over? Is it a thing they care about or is it just an MOT thing?

I can get the beans set up properly (I'm friendly with the guy who owns my local MOT place), so hopefully reducing risk of glare.

Was driving along a dark stretch of dual carriage way last night and couldn't use full bean because of oncoming traffic and could have really done with a bit more brightness so realy want to get some now.

What about police if I happen to pull over? Is it a thing they care about or is it just an MOT thing?

I can get the beans set up properly (I'm friendly with the guy who owns my local MOT place), so hopefully reducing risk of glare.

Was driving along a dark stretch of dual carriage way last night and couldn't use full bean because of oncoming traffic and could have really done with a bit more brightness so realy want to get some now.

As you say............get beams adjusted and you should be OK.

However it is illegal :crybaby:

Thats the bit I'm worried about. Are all retro fit HIDs illegal, or just, if like me, you don't have washers? I'm nervous enough now driving round in my car (im 22 so always feel as though people are looking at me thinking I've nicked it, espcially as most the time Im driving round in working clothes), so obviously don't want to give the old bill anything to book me for. Everything else on my car is legal, so would be gutted if my downfall was a 50 quid HID kit. Has anyone had any problems with the old bill?

Can washer be retro fitted to my car. I'd assume all the wiring and plumbing is already there, as I was under the impression that all cars come in with standard bumpers, then styling kits are added in the Uk. Anyone got a set of washer they'd like to donate?

Gazza

Further to my early post, and at cost of having to eat my words - heres a quote from the DoT..

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which would cause a vehicle to fail to comply with the construction and use standards. A headlamp which has been approved to European Regulations for use with a HID light source is fine, provided the installation criteria are met. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). These items are not checked at the MoT. However, failure to comply may lead to enforcement action by the police and may invalidate your insurance. Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Fitting HID light sources adapted for fitment to headlamps originally designed for use with filament light sources is not permitted and it is not possible to obtain EC type approval for such "modified" HID light sources. Even if the vehicle does pass the MoT exam this only proves that the light produces a beam pattern which is clear enough for aiming. It does not show whether the light distribution within that pattern is sufficient to prevent glare and puts light on the correct part of the road surface.

The same requirements apply regarding fitting an HID light source to a motorcycle. Only a headlamp approved for use with HID light sources may be fitted. Unlike with passenger vehicles, there are no European Regulations on the installation of approved HID headlamps to motorcycles. This is partly because no agreement has been reached on how to implement automatic headlamp levelling and washers on motorcycles. Potentially this could allow an HID headlamp to be fitted to a motorcycle without automatic leveling or washers and we are aware of one manufacturer who has taken advantage of this and fitted an approved HID headlamp to a motorcycle. The user must still ensure, however, that the use of these lamps does not cause glare to other road users, which may be difficult to achieve if the lamps are not kept clean and if there is significant movement of the suspension during use.

Yours sincerely,

DfT - Transport Technology and Standards

I was reading about this a while ago... Very basically..

The thing about headlight washers ONLY applies to OEM fitments where the law states it MUST have them, AND also a self levelling device.

With regards to retrofit,

The headlight must be approved for HID use.

There must be a self levelling device.

I didn't find anything with regards to headlight washers... but the self leveling part and headlight approval makes virtually all retrofit's illegal in the eyes of the law.. unless you can get the lights from a model with HID, and all the self leveling doodahs and thingamabobs.

On the GS430, with HID, I believe the only difference is the reflector.. most HID lights seem to be projector beams

Saying that, as said above, these two "technical" items are not checked at MOT, so as long as it passes, who gives a $hit.... My 626GT passed 3 times with HID's fitted, and never been flashed either.......... although I have in the GS300.. 3 times so far ! see what happens MOT time, although, luckily, it's a mate who tests mine..

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links