Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

As anyone had a Dab Addon fitted and what make as im thinking of getting one but looks like a jungle out there

Gs300 55 reg

thanks

Coincidence - I'm fitting the Alpine Ezi Dab to my 09 450h this weekend. It's an Alpine badged Pure unit and better because of the range of display colour options it offers over the Pure.

Chose it for the quality and reviews after much research, and because it offers three connection options: fm transmit; fm direct inject and aux in. Have rejected the FM direct inject as it would mean running cable up and down the car because my GS FM aerial goes from the rear screen to the tuner in the boot and not up to the front (yours may be different?);

So am going with fm transmit with aux in as a backup.

Let me know if details of fit/aerial and power would be of interest..

hth

Hi Michael

i shall watch with interest i did think of the vaistech but that will only do Iphone etc

i really want dab of course Iphone input would be ok but not too bothered about that

i will research the alpine ez Dab

would appreciate any info you have

thanks

Robert

The EZI Dab comes with a USB input for iPhone/iPod or USB stick/MP3 input, plus an aux input but I will be using it for DAB as I have a Vais in the centre storage which gives me great iPod/USB/MP3.

The EZI Dab is on run out but widely available; I got mine new from a Citroen dealer on eBay, circa £125; there are some silly prices around but circa £130 for a brand new and boxed unit is all you should pay. Wherever from the unit comes with its own wiring loom which can be used on all cars, even if it says Citroen/Peugeot specific it is in fact for all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPINE-EZI-DAB-DIGITAL-RADIO-INTERFACE-/131509738116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9e975a84

Details of fit in case they help are Aerial in top lh corner of front windscreen then running behind pillar trim; a good aerial is a must with these, the internal ones are not really up to the job. I've got this

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DEGA-T4002_telescopic_glass_mount_DAB_car_aerial.html

.......a useful site with plenty of advice

Ezi DAB main box is going in space behind/below HU; box needs permanent live + switched live + earth. Switched live from cigar lighter feed; perm live from fuse box in cabin and the very small but well built control unit on a Brodit mount on LH of console - the control unit will fit stealth in the ashtray with door closed when not in use and only come out when in use .

Will try to get some pics and post when done.

hth

yes mine is same ariel for fm is in rear window but not sure of the route of the cables etc but im sure i will figure it out

Would appreciate pics of installation

• 2 weeks later...

Have completed the Alpine EZI DAB instal, with the help of my mate Pete. Am impressed with the unit operation, and the sound via the OEM head unit. Turned into a long job because we had diffculty finding a permanent live under the dash.

Didn't get all the pics I wanted but have posted what I have with commentary in case it helps others doing same or similar job.

install info:

* I fitted the Kinetic DEGA-T4002 DAB glass mount telescopic pivoting aerial aas recommended by dabonwheels.com. When retracted the aerial is very stealth and even closed gives a fair signal. I ran the aerial cable down the n/s pillar behind the trim, through an opening under the tweeter dash cover, down the side of the dash, along the lower dash (removed panel below the air bag to do so) and into the back of the centre console then up to the DAB unit - some pics below.

* the main DAB unit was fitted on the top of the head unit using double sided tape - plenty of room and is the same location as Lexus use/recommend for their own add ons

* the controller unit cable runs from the main DAB unit down to behind the hu and up into the base of the ashtray space (ashtray unit itself removed and smal lhole drilled for cable to pass into the space) - when not in use the controller fits neatly inside the ashtray space with the door closed.

* main DAB unit requires both switched and permanent lives. Fused switched live easy run from the rear of the cigar lighter - on the GS a permanent live is not straightforward. Most of the cabling behind/under the dash turns out to be low voltage signal, and the two fuse boxes, one under each side of lower dash, are designed to be inaccessible! Eventually found a permanent fused live on the Battery side of the interior footlamps. The DAB unit only draws power to keep the unit memory going via permanent live so not a great load.

* sound is supplied from the DAB unit to the HU via FM transmit - works perfectly and there is an direct feed from DAB to hu by aux cable available if I need it.

The finishing touch is to mount the unit on a Brodit, as soon as the postie delivers the same......

M

pics -

1. aerial fitted top lh corner of screen in retraced position

gallery_43921_1229_161012.jpg

2. aerial interior section installed on screen with cable going behind roof liner and then into pillar trim - black square is a block holding roof lining away to allow cable to go under

med_gallery_43921_1229_7586.jpg

3. cable run down pillar before pushing under front edge

med_gallery_43921_1229_57403.jpg

4. prise tweeter grille from dashboard to access path for cable to go down side and under dash

med_gallery_43921_1229_167060.jpg

5. aerial cable run from under pillar trim to opening next to tweeter (on rh side marked in red)

med_gallery_43921_1229_49328.jpg

cont. in next post

6. straightened wire coat hangar (red dashes) used to pull string through from top of dash, then aerial cable attached to bring down and thread inside dash. Dash end cover simply pulls off with care, as does trim coloured cover piece to its lh

gallery_43921_1229_149881.jpg

7. panel under n/s dash below air bag has four clips - pull hard to remove and then thread aerial cable across base using cable ties to secure. Care as puddle light and TPMS button power feeds are on rh side of panel

med_gallery_43921_1229_121195.jpg

8. replace panel and keep cable free to go under dash - at this stage I tested the aerial with a DAB unit powered via cigar lighter to make sure it was all ok. Note the cable join, aerial came with 2 metre run, I added a 1 metre extension to give some slack

med_gallery_43921_1229_65348.jpg

9. dismantle whole of centre console and pull hu out(main DAB unit lower right while we find power feed and connect all cables)

med_gallery_43921_1229_135995.jpg

10. view of console from passenger side. Cable arrowed on left is cable for DAB control unit - this cable runs from the main DAB unit into cigar lighter space and to control unit. Cable arrowed on right is Vais unit cable from hu to cubby box

gallery_43921_1229_140836.jpg

11. instal complete, control unit poking out of ash tray space, awaiting Brodit mount

med_gallery_43921_1229_180639.jpg

12. unit is invisible when not in use, control unit can be dismounted and kept elsewhere, or put back into ash tray space. Note to self, must source new gear handle!

gallery_43921_1229_2749.jpg

hth

M

• 2 weeks later...

Robert,

in case it helps below are pics of the final instal; first one with the unit mounted on the Brodit, second with the unit stowed in the ash tray space. The Brodit mount is specific for the GS, easy to instal with no drilling or damage - I just followed the included instructions. If you do go for the Alpine unit then this would be a straightforward job for a fitter.

Obviously the mount is always visible but for me it was the most elegant solution I could find, and avoided sticking anything on to the dash area etc.

gallery_43921_1229_213189.jpg

gallery_43921_1229_61116.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links