Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Purchasing A Lexus From Ireland (uk Registered European Import), Help&

fozzyf

Hi all I am after some advice please.

I am on the lookout for a Lexus GS300 and found a lovely 2005 example SE-L with good mileage and full main dealer history. The car itself is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland but was originally from Dublin so technically classed as an Irish/European import. As the current owner lives in Belfast he has fully registered it with the UK, has the V5C, is HPI clear, Lexus conformity letter etc. The only thing is that it reads in KPH (has an MPH sticker). This isn't an issue for me as I will source another set of clocks to primarily read MPH and swap them out and get the mileage corrected (I used to SVA cars many years ago!). My main worry is that as it is a European import would this have an effect on the value? The specification is exactly the same as a UK one (Mark Levinson, correct wheels, boot spoiler etc). Are there any negatives regarding the purchase I should be wairy of?

Thanks

I wouldn't think you should have any problems the value of these cars are excellent for uk folk because of our stupid motor tax regime where my 450h cost €1806 to tax for the year your car a little less at €1200 so nobody wants to pay that.

I suspect your insurer will treat it as a grey import (anything to stitch the consumer up whilst ignoring the fact that ALL Lexus's are in fact 'grey imports') so I suggest that you check with them to see how they will treat it

I have spoken to my insurer and as it is classed as a European Import it is classed the same as a UK car (ie - not a Jap import) and for insurance purposes it is the same as the UK (even he said the cars are identical which surprised me - quite a knowledgeable chap!).

I have now put a deposit on it and collecting it next Wednesday!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well collected the car and very pleased with it, the chap had described it exactly as it was! I've changed the clocks tonight to some MPH ones I found on eBay, I just need to get the mileage adjusted back to as it should be. Only a small knocking noise on the rear pass.side to sort and it will be perfect!! He even gave me the standard suspension if I found the coilovers too bumpy (which they arent!).

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links