Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello folks, Been lurking on these forums for some time now, since about a month before getting a '08 plate IS 220d SE with 39k on the clock. :)

First month and a half have been excellent, took it to Lexus Edinburgh to get all the filters/oils changed etc as the garage only changed the oil - So all up to date in terms of servicing and has done about 1k miles since the service.

So today, have driven to work then home (short trip), then sat outside for 1 hour.

Made a 2 mile trip to supermarket but when I came out, the attached image showed on the car.

Handbrake / ABS / Power Steering all lit and speedo not working.

Stopped engine / restarted - Same. So drove 2 miles to friend...

During which time the power steering felt heavy, brakes OK, maybe performance slightly less. Stayed there for about 10 minutes, got back into car...

Dreading it turning on - No warning lights, driving pefectly.

This worries me though, only had the car a couple of months.

Looking in Lexus Manual - Only advises on which light means what.

Online I can't seem to find someone else who's had the handbrake / ABS and P/S light lit at the same time and the speedo not working. (Staying at 0)

EDIT - After some more testing, seems to happen 50% of the time now. :'(

Sometimes it'll be OK, leave off for 2 mins, lights on, leave off for 2 mins, try again, no warning lights...

Anyone come across this?

Thanks for any help :)

Will call Lexus Edn tomorrow. (250 miles away though)

EDIT - Pic didn't host, so popped it on mine:

http://clantdb.co.uk/images/lexus220d_warningl.jpg

Sounds like a malfunctioning VSC computer, or a loose connection on the wiring connector to the VSC unit.

The VSC computer doesn't just handle VSC, but it also does ABS, vehicle speed monitoring and brake system safety checking.

The lights work as follows: the VSC light comes on, if the VSC computer sends a "VSC not available" signal to the dash. No signal. No VSC warning.

The brake light and ABS light stay on, unless the VSC computer sends a "brake system safe" signal or "ABS system working" signal. No signals, the lights come on.

The speedo takes its signal from the VSC computer as well. No signal from the VSC computer, speedo reads zero.

Finally, the power steering system takes a speed signal from the VSC computer so that it can adjust the power assistance. If it gets no signal, then it will report a power steering fault and may not work correctly.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links