Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coolant Loss - Heater Matrix?

Hello everyone.

My 04 Rx300 SE-L with 78000 miles has started to loose engine coolant.

There are no puddles forming under the car but there is a slight wiff of chemical coming from the air vents.

So I'm guessing the heater matrix or associated pipework may have a leak.

The carpets in the foot wells are dry though.

So far used about four litres of Toyota super long life coolant as per the Lexus handbook, but at £35 for five litres it's not cheap.

Car has full main dealer service history and owned by myself for last four years.

Therefore has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Has anyone had the heater matrix renewed, do you recall how much this cost?

Has anyone any experience of using radweld chemical? I used it ten years ago in a Toyota Carina with success, but should I risk it on the Lexus?

Many thanks.

Hello all.

Quick update for you all.

Made enquiries with Lexus Manchester and Lexus Stockport about possible faults and solutions.

Lexus Manchester very helpful but quoted over £700 for a radiator change, quite steep as they claim the part costs £450 when in fact it's available online for around £150.

Lexus Stockport were there usual unhelpful, disrespectful and patronising self, claimed the radiator and heater matrix were the same part! Member of the service department confessed he didn't know the difference between either!

Nobody could tell me how the matrix is plumbed in, ie compression fittings, flange, push fit with O-rings etc.

Quite unbelievable!

In the end they called me back and quoted over £1400 for a heater matrix change and the same as Manchester for the radiator.

Manchester could fit me in this week Stockport didn't know when!

Stripped down the front end myself and found a tiny crack weeping from the radiator on the bottom edge, drivers side.

Think I'll change it myself, as I've lost all faith in the main stealers, highway robbery simple as that.

Shame as the car has been quite good otherwise.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello all.

Sorry for not updating you.

Yes all sorted now, bought a new radiator from a local independat radiator firm. Was put onto them by local Aston Martin specialest who claims radiators from there far outlest original Aston Martin ones!

Paid just over £100 I think and it came with a two year warranty.

Special Toyota / Lexus cooling fluid was expensive but necessary I supose.

After this experience I will NEVER take any of my cars back to main dealers, they simply dont know, dont care and want to charge like the light brigade!

Thanks everyone

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links