Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension Wear

Wass

Whilst routinely checking the car over and rotating the wheels/ checking brake wear, I noticed the tell tale damp patch on the passenger side front strut. There was oil leaking out of it.

Many years ago, cars would fail their MOT on this after only a very few 10s of thousands of miles. Our 4 year old CT has just covered 50,000 miles. I was surprised at how soon the strut has failed and can only assume that it is just one of those things.

Changing the strut for a another one was very quick and simple. I sourced another one from a breaker making sure that the replacement didn't come from the f sport. The replacement was colour coded the same as the original and so was bolted on in quick time.The car drives exactly the same as before with little or no perceptible change.

One notable observation was how little corrosion there was on any of the components. I am more accustomed to working with classic vehicles which are prone to corrosion on suspension components after as little as 10,000 miles.

I now have a spare top mount and spring just in case of the unlikely event of a spring breakage.

I think that leaking struts are pretty much at the discretion of the MOT tester as to how much if any leak is permissible. As you say, most will advise. The complete replacement strut cost me £190 inc carriage and VAT.and cost nothing to fit.

Since you are interested in costs what do you think it would have cost to have such a job done by Lexus?

I'd expect the shock to be around £150 to £200 from Lexus plus fitting. They wouldn't swap out the complete strut so extra labour to remove the spring etc plus they would probably insist on checking the wheel alignment. All in all probably around £400.

I think it pays to have extended warranty. £495 over 10 months for 2 years piece of mind. This also includes 2 years Lexus assist.

I didn't appear to help much with that seat of yours, they just called it fair wear and tear didn't they?I would imagine they would call my front strut fair wear and tear too. I really don't like extended warranties on Lexus cars since they are charging for something which is included free with Toyotas. IE 5 years full warranty not just the hybrid kit. I don't much like extended warranties full stop. If goods cant last a reasonable time beyond warranty expiry, I lose interest in them pretty quickly.

As a general rule if I don't think something will last until I can afford to replace it, I look for a better deal.

I think it pays to have extended warranty. £495 over 10 months for 2 years piece of mind. This also includes 2 years Lexus assist.

I didn't appear to help much with that seat of yours, they just called it fair wear and tear didn't they?I would imagine they would call my front strut fair wear and tear too. I really don't like extended warranties on Lexus cars since they are charging for something which is included free with Toyotas. IE 5 years full warranty not just the hybrid kit. I don't much like extended warranties full stop. If goods cant last a reasonable time beyond warranty expiry, I lose interest in them pretty quickly.

As a general rule if I don't think something will last until I can afford to replace it, I look for a better deal.

It actually did. They did say car was out of warranty until I pointed out I had extended it. However, I do agree Lexus should provide 5 years with their vehicles.

I would try to claim off Lexus for your suspension - problem is it could have been a pothole in which case I would claim off council concerned.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links