Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amber footwell bulb change?

Hi All - has anyone on here done this job?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/592148-replaced-my-amber-led-foot-well-with-bright-white-leds.html

I've swapped all other bulbs to white LED..  and the dull orange glow on my shoes at night is now annoying me!!

Cheers, goose

42 minutes ago, Justin.s said:

Not done it myself but I've been thinking bout changing all mine to white LED's. Where did you source them and were they all easy to do?

I bought this kit..  all v.easy to swap over except the vanity mirror which was a PITA!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15x-White-LED-lights-interior-package-kit-for-2003-2009-Lexus-RX-LR2W-/371098836636?fits=Year%3A2008|Make%3ALexus|Model%3ARX400h|Submodel%3ABase|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.3L&hash=item566736de9c:g:4NgAAOSwd0BVvAis&vxp=mtr

goose

Just now, g00se said:

I also bought some clear covers to replace the red covers on the 2x front door puddle lights...  they are much better!

goose

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean, been thinking of changing to LED too.

I had to change cigar lighter fuse last week and noticed them.

I put a voltmeter on the 2 wires feeding the black housing around the orange LED and it read 8vDC.

I was surprised but may be worth double checking before you purchase.

I was using one of those fluke hand held AVO meters- doesn't go to 1 decimal place

In my last rx300 I put in patio LEDS which were about an inch in diameter and 12vDC.

Bought in B&Q in a pack of four, looked quite nice. easy to wire to Lexus blue sill lights

• Like 1

On 30/03/2016 at 6:14 PM, maurice1 said:

I know what you mean, been thinking of changing to led too.

I had to change cigar lighter fuse last week and noticed them.

I put a voltmeter on the 2 wires feeding the black housing around the orange led and it read 8vDC.

I was surprised but may be worth double checking before you purchase.

I was using one of those fluke hand held AVO meters- doesn't go to 1 decimal place

In my last rx300 I put in patio LEDS which were about an inch in diameter and 12vDC.

Bought in B&Q in a pack of four, looked quite nice. easy to wire to Lexus blue sill lights

do you have any piccies of the above? ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Took out the passanger amber LED today

The light slides apart and exposes the LED Zener and LED

The resistor is 750 ohms  which seems a little high but would lead to a long life.

The LED is soldered in and I was thinking of changing the LED itself to a white one.

I dont see an obvious way to get the LED out. Perhaps after de soldering it may be easy.

Perhaps the 8vDC i mentioned above was measured when the interior lights were dimming and I would treat the supply voltage as 13.8vDC20160421_162405.jpg

The LEDS i mentioned above were like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018S093Q/ref=s9_hps_bw_g201_i3 except they were 1 inch diameter and i got 10 for the price quoted now but that was 7 years ago

20160421_162351.jpg

• Like 2

I tried to change the LED on the unit above but could not get it out.

So I cut it between the Zener and the LED as I couldn't see a way to change the LED otherwise.

On the back there are 3 connection points so I changed the resistor to 475ohm

As I had a pack lying around, I soldered a http://spiratronics.com/superbright-5mm-waterclear-led-blue.html to the large terminal and the one on the resistor.

Tested it and put it back together.

It works fine and the Blue LED gives out more light.

However the viewing angle is rather narrow, which means I have a 6" spot of intense blue light on the carpet. A different LED would cure that.

Loads of LED calculators on the internet to select the correct resistor for the LED. 2 or 3 leds in series should give more light.

Don't forget to check polarity prior to assembly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links