Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Speeds Gear Change to 1st

14 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Well, yes I guess winter is not equal winter and if it was -30C all night then I don't have much experience with that and cannot advise. Certainly when the car us "up-to temp" there should be no lumpy gear changes between 5th and 6th.

Yes, this is the case, when up to temp, changes are smooth. But when you drive 5km at -25celsius to work, all changes are noticeable.

Yes, that would be normal and not an issue of the gearbox. The thing is - gearbox warms-up much slower than engine, so driving 5km certainly not even enough to warm it up from -25C. I doubt even engine fully warms-up in such a short distance.

Especially, on automatic gearboxes which works out based on solenoids and are sensitive to viscosity of the fluid, if fluid is thicker at -25C then obviously it will not work as designed until it reaches standard operating temperature.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:56 PM, Linas.P said:

Yes, that would be normal and not an issue of the gearbox. The thing is - gearbox warms-up much slower than engine, so driving 5km certainly not even enough to warm it up from -25C. I doubt even engine fully warms-up in such a short distance.

Especially, on automatic gearboxes which works out based on solenoids and are sensitive to viscosity of the fluid, if fluid is thicker at -25C then obviously it will not work as designed until it reaches standard operating temperature.

Getting warmer here, gearbox smoother all the time. Occasional funny shifts when coasting and letting off the throttle. Hard throttle shifts are smooth. Funny gearbox, maybe more direct then my past BMW with an ZF box. Maybe these Aisins are different in their philosophy..

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:42 PM, johnbiker7 said:

Speed humps are there for a purpose they make us stick to the speed limit

It is a crude and old-fashioned method of slowing cars down. No doubt it was effective back in the day but suspensions have improved beyond recognition. Many drivers of modern SUVs are not slowed in the least by the thump of traversing them. They are also horrible for people using bicycles and scooters. On the other hand, it is essential that vehicle speeds be reduced in towns and cities, ideally to a 20 mph limit. That is an attitudinal shift comparable to the rejection of drinking and driving. It is taking time, but it will happen.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links