Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do all RX400h engines sound like this one?

Hi I have been looking to buy a RX400H since 2018 and have the funds saved up but there is not much choice out there or to far for me to travel.

I have just enquired about one and the seller was faultless and sent be some video's of the car but there was some paint issues and damage to the dash etc which put me off as well as the engine sounded like a diesel to me or do they all sound like this one in the video I have attached.

Answers would be greatly received and videos of your own would be a bonus so I have something to compare it too.

All the best John    

Does sound a bit tappy, but they are a bit noisy. I wonder why the revs are so high, seem unnatural even a cold start tickover is lower. The volume could be because he's got his head in the engine bay so can't conclude for sure if not right.

The scuttle is covered in debris and the engine bay looks pretty rusty and tired to me though. Check past MOT history for rust comments (I know you turned it down already).

• Like 1

Cheers I checked the MOT history and another warning flag was that it had only done 90 miles in the last year and advisory for "Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened all discs corroded "

And from the rest of the videos it looks like it has been stood outside for a long time outdoors and loads of advisory's and the odd failures for the last 10 years.

All the best John 

Obviously brakes are a consumable, and they will rust if the car is not used. Not a major issue, but it doesn't like a well looked after car, we can't see much here though.

• Like 1

Its pretty much impossible to determine whether it sounds normal or not from a video due to different microphones picking up different sounds. 

Take it to a mechanic

You got me wondering, so I went outside and cold started mine while filmng. It sounds quiet and smooth, but the phone recorded a lot more engine noise as it was closer. Still much less tappety than the one being sold above.

• Thanks 1

Hi there was little service history and there was a lot of indication that it was not looked after on the MOT history and in the videos odd scrape and damage to dash and inside door handle and lacquer peeling away and usual stone chips on the front.

I would have done the work to get it looking better and sorted out the discs and new tyres etc but it also looked like the cambelt / water pump hand not been replaced and the engine sounded like it was low on oil.

It has had 2 advisory's for oil leak in the past.

Cheers John    

Cheers Tref

Now if the engine on the one I was looking at sounded sweet like yours I would have gone and taken a look and would have probably taken it home.

Many thanks for the video.

All the best John

Mine lived it's life in leafy South London, hence no rust issues. I'd avoid anything Japanese which has lived by the coast in the UK 😉

There are good cars out there, just bide your time. I'd suggest not worrying about mileage and focusing on condition/history (such as the cambelt you mention). Mine had a few little repairs to the body in the past but living on the street in London does that to a car. I had the wheels refurbished and had the cambelt done (99k miles on the clock at the time). Now it's a great car and feels fine for another 100k, no clonks or rattles either, far better than the equivalent BMW/Audi/VW!

Cheers Tref

I am in agreement with you there I have avoided coastal and cars from Scotland and Mileage does not bother me I would rather own a high mileage car that has been used mostly on the motorway with full service history over a low mileage one with or without service history.

As they tend to be used the short trips to the shops and back that kill an engine sooner My farther in-laws 2001 VW golf only had 36k on the clock and fully serviced every year with the mot and he owned it from new.

But It sounded like a diesel engine when it was sold as it was worn out much quicker.

All the best John 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links