Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dual heating on vehicle with a navigation system

rhosneigr

After 7 years of owning my CT I now feel confused as to the workings of the dual system of passenger and driver heating side of the cabin. After reading the manual it seems to say that the dual function adjusts the temperature of the seats and by experimenting, the air temperature at the air outlets. I have placed a thermometer in the cabin and it does not come anywhere near what the temperature on the a/c is set at. Would be grateful if anyone can explain how the system works. 

The settings are for the desired ambient temperatures of the front passengers, not the temperature of the seats nor what temperature the air is coming out of the vents.

The dual system allows different temperatures to come out the side vents, rather than a standard system where they are connected together. Obviously if you have the temperatures too far apart the air in the middle will mix and the temperature is going to be somewhat in the middle of the two settings.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies Colin but I'm still very cofused. For instance page 446 of the owners manual when mentioning Dual mode it mentions seats (could be something lost in translation). How does 1 sensor control 2 different temperatures? After a run of 17 miles with the temperature set at 23 the cabin temperature only reaching 18 degrees with very little air which was only cool coming out of the vents. To get a decent temperature at the air vents I have to manually increase fan speed.  

I will persevere with experimenting with the system when next time I do a reasonable run. 

My partner has been travelling with me more these days and it was she that noticed this and asked questions which made me think about how the system worked. 

Yes I think that is a translation issue, it should read the seat area rather than seat itself.

The single sensor is used to determine how much heat/cooling is required for the driver. If the passenger control is different then an offset is applied to the temperature for the passenger airflow.

The body/face air vents will typically have ambient temperature airflow, with hot/cold coming from the foot and windscreen vents. This is to avoid direct airflow over heating/cooling the person in the seat.

Use auto mode, don't use Eco drive mode as that will restrict the climate system, and make sure your pollen filter was changed when the vehicle was serviced and is clean.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links