Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which 3rd Gen

Hi all, I have been a member on here for some time, I have owner two gen 1 IS200’s in the past and have toyed with the idea of GS and LS in the past. Now looking to move away from my dirty 12 year old VW diesel, that has served me well and would like move back to a petrol or even a hybrid. Specially now I have reduced my commute to 30 miles a day for work and that diesel is 30p more expensive compared to petrol it would not cost as much to run a petrol. Has anyone driven all variants of the 3rd Gen IS200t/250/300H? If we had the choice of the 350 it would be a no brainer for me but we dont have that luxury here in the UK, I am also considering a JDM Toyota crown with the 3.5L V6.

Has anyone driven all three variants? I have driven a 2nd 250 and would expect the 3rd gen it to be similar. What’s the 200T like, I have watched a few youtube review’s and all mention there is a big amount of turbo lag? There doesnt seem to much information about remapping? If I wanted to go that way. Then there is a hybrid what I am leaning towards as I think its a sensible step before we all move over to EV’s in the next 10-20 years. MPG is not a massive deal breaker for me, I am just after a very usable and reliable car.

Now that I have owned the 300H can only speak on this version, the 200T Is a good engine but quite thirsty range from 20-25MPG. + cost more in Road tax. Not too popular in the UK you may see challenges (delay) when needing parts for it chassis is the same just engine components.

They are both going to be reliable if maintained, I'd say the 300H is likely to be more reliable if you do mega milea as its a naturally aspirated engine there is no need to worry about turbo failure. Yes there is the high voltage Battery but its proven concept to not require any attention for 10 years + Prius being a good example some examples out there over 300k. Its the same technology. 

If you have the V6 itch / want performance go for the 450H, blend of economy & performance. Very capable motors out of the box as standard. Just be mindful they cost more to maintain i.e spark plugs change its an intake manifold off job at 60k intervals its not too bad to be fair, if your good with spanners DIY is possible if your brave. 

Your right its a shame we dont get the 4WD version of the IS in the UK otherwise 350 would be my choice as well. 

A lot of forum members don't like the IS 200t but I love it.  - No CVT just a nice 8 speed auto with a mind of its own. A proper old school car.

After over a year of ownership I think I am getting to slowly figure out how to drive it properly.

Forget fast starts 0-60. A skoda yeti will give you a good run for your money, but just get it rolling to second, spinning up the turbo and boot it and it will take off like a scalded cat.

That's what I like about it. It is a challenge to drive well.

Responsive - No

Fast - when it feels like it.

Economical - No

Quiet - Yes

Full of surprises and pulls like a train ( when it wants to ) - yes.

I  have tried the 300h  and it is just so boring compared to the fun of the 200t.

Apparently they do not respond well to " chipping" remapping and tuning, but at the last service I asked the Lexus mechanic to see if he could tweak it for a bit more go and a bit less turbo lag, he certainly did something because it goes so well now.

20 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

Now that I have owned the 300H can only speak on this version, the 200T Is a good engine but quite thirsty range from 20-25MPG. + cost more in Road tax. Not too popular in the UK you may see challenges (delay) when needing parts for it chassis is the same just engine components.

They are both going to be reliable if maintained, I'd say the 300H is likely to be more reliable if you do mega milea as its a naturally aspirated engine there is no need to worry about turbo failure. Yes there is the high voltage battery but its proven concept to not require any attention for 10 years + Prius being a good example some examples out there over 300k. Its the same technology. 

If you have the V6 itch / want performance go for the 450H, blend of economy & performance. Very capable motors out of the box as standard. Just be mindful they cost more to maintain i.e spark plugs change its an intake manifold off job at 60k intervals its not too bad to be fair, if your good with spanners DIY is possible if your brave. 

Your right its a shame we dont get the 4WD version of the IS in the UK otherwise 350 would be my choice as well. 

I got a loan / demonstrator car 450h while the 200t was in for a service and was so disappointed in it.

At first, I was looking forward to trying the famous V6 as in the IS 350 ?   - WRONG!

The V6, which should be smooth and revvy was strangled. When you put your foot down it gives a reluctant groan and hits full revs ( blame the CVT ). Sounds harsh, no engine character, rough and gruff sounding. What have they done to it?  Have a go in a 370Z or similar to see what a Jap V6 is capable of.

It was such a relief to get back in a proper car afterwards ( 200t of course 🍺 )

BTW - In the recent weather / snow there is absolutely no grip or traction. RWD feature? The "snow" button puts a little light on the dash but that's about all it does.

I bought a MK3 GS450H a year ago and I absolutely love it. Probably I have different expectations than Graham. The only aspect that I dislike is the fuel consumption but maybe I still have to learn to drive it properly as other members on this forum get better fuel consumption than me. My suggestion is to test drive it to see if you like it. There might be good MK3 models on sale on AT within a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Hi Sergio

The one I got to try was an RX 450h ( I think ) It was the last of the V6's  - 2022 ? .   Now they have  4 cylinder engines I believe.

I think your GS is a different vehicle altogether. Sounds like a lovely car and before it got strangled by the emissions police.

I saw this on the RAC website and it sounds like a different vehicle altogether, in fact, what I expected from the RX but never got.

"The 3.5-litre V6 is so smooth, you barely notice it switching on and off. However, accelerate hard and the extra shove it provides is clear, because the GS 450h is effortlessly fast and responsive."

Maybe the one I tried was a bad 'un.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMB said:

"The 3.5-litre V6 is so smooth, you barely notice it switching on and off. However, accelerate hard and the extra shove it provides is clear, because the GS 450h is effortlessly fast and responsive."

This is exactly my feeling about the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links