Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flashing ECT/PWR light on Dash

Ted Soudan

I have a 1999 GS300SE which has a continuous flashing ECT/PWR light. This would normally indicate Transmission problems. However, as I couldn't get into my local garage for a Diagnostic check for 2 weeks and given that there was no associated performance problems I continued to run the car in the interim. The diagnostic checked did indicate a transmission problem but wouldn't allow my garage to delete the code. Given the expense of new gearbox coils and that the car still drove without problems, I decided to carry on driving until/unless the vehicle CLEARLY manifested performance problems. More than 12,000 miles and 14 months later there are still no problems, with the ECT/PWR light flashing for the whole period. I suspect a faulty PART of the switch as the 'SNOW' mode which works off the same switch is fine and has been in use in the recent/current inclement weather. Anybody with any ideas. Lexus want to charge me £170 just for a diagnostic check and I am loathe to pay that especially as they are likely to indicate a Transmission fault code which I know cannot be the case as the car continues to perform faultlessly.

Regards,

Ted.

This is normally a solenoid issue in the gearbox. Doesn’t need the gearbox out to change one, just dropping the gearbox sump plate off is enough. Does need the code reading though, to find out which one of the solenoids needs doing.

I’m no auto box expert I’m afraid. I believe the solenoids facilitate a smooth gear change, and can present an error code when they are on the way out. If the solenoid eventually fails completely, it will not shift to the gear the solenoid is servicing. Just my understanding, others may know better.

Cheers

Rick

34 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

I’m no auto box expert I’m afraid. I believe the solenoids facilitate a smooth gear change, and can present an error code when they are on the way out. If the solenoid eventually fails completely, it will not shift to the gear the solenoid is servicing. Just my understanding, others may know better.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your follow up. My real query is/was 'more than 12,000 miles and 14 months' seems a very long time for the solenoid(s) NOT to collapse. However, who can give a time frame to such circumstances.

Regards,

Ted.

Exactly. It is what it is, the fault code will give the definitive answer whether it is indeed a solenoid problem. After that, it’s pure luck if and when it gives up. Of course, a fluid flush may cure it, if that has enough of an effect on hydraulic pressures to make it happy again.

I assume you are sure it is definitely using ALL gears? (I’m not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs at all)

Hi Rick,

The gearbox changes smoothly throughout the range and as I drive with the classic 'mix' of urban, 'A' road and Motorway i must have used all gears/changes throughout the 12,000 miles/14 months since the light first showed.

Ted.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links