Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h having second thoughts

I'm seriously considering a new or nearly new RX450h but I'm also having second thoughts. My concerns include:

1. The apparent ease with which the car can be stolen (canbus theft), although I would probably fit a Ghost immobiliser

2. The apparent ease with which the catalytic converter can be stolen.

3. Servicing costs seem to be pretty high. A 2 year service, including hybrid check is over £700. It seems to consist of oil and filter change, brake fluid change and a lot of visual checks. I appreciate it's a quality piece of kit, but I have to see value for money in what I pay for. Are drivers just paying through the back door for the Relax warranty ?(which sounds really good tbh)

As regards 1 and 2, I had a Lexus LS400 for some years. It was an incredible car and I want to return to the relaxing experience that gave me, but worrying about parts and vehicle theft didn't come with that car.

@taffie999

Sensible questions. I’m afraid the ‘Canbus’ theft issue is a real concern. Lexus are now trialling a solution in London and the South-East which will hopefully help matters once rolled out (assuming it is) but for now I don’t think I can provide any reassurance other than the fact that ‘most’ of the thefts seem to be in and around Greater London (although bound to spread if they haven’t already).

On the service costs, all I’d say is that a 2021/22 RX is an expensive car to purchase and that comes with related expenses, of which servicing is just one. I found Lexus to be relatively expensive (compared with Honda) even on my previous NX. Premium pricing for a premium product I assume!

If you haven’t already check insurance as mine DOUBLED year on year, without any obvious reason other than the increased risk of theft noted above. Believe some other members have seen similar rises. 

Road tax also attracts the £500 ‘luxury levy’ for the first three years (could be five years, can’t remember).

Having said all that, I do love my RX. It is an impressively quiet and refined cruiser, and beautifully built too. It is pretty wide though, not one for narrow lanes if you value your paintwork, and there is one 6’3” width restrictor near me which is just a bit too tight for comfort!

Thanks Ed. I'm aware of the extra £355 in road tax, it's up to year 6. This "luxury" tax is on any car over 40k when new, so catches many ordinary cars as well because they never increased the threshold. You can pay it on many Skodas, VWs etc.

I do intend to get an insurance quote first. I read that Lexus insurance will fit a secondary immobiliser free of charge, not sure if this is still the case, but there's the issue of damage done during the attempt. I just want a hassle free experience, which is why I'm looking at Lexus (and the Toyota Highlander)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links