Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advise on steering and suspension problems.

LittleCasper

Hi Guys and Gals,

A few weeks back I got a set of 4 new Goodyear Eagle Ace 6 F1 Tires for my car but ever since getting them fitted, the car just doesn't feel right at all. To cut a long story short I've had the tracking and balancing redone by an independent, basically to make hardly any difference; so I asked Goodyear for advice. I inevitably took it back to the original place who fitted the tires to get "some checks done" and they also did a wheel alignment and balancing, apparently the tracking was off as the front wheels both had their toe pointing outwards. So after the work was completed, I tried driving the car but it still didn't feel very balanced; I gave it a few days thinking it was a placebo of being "OK" but ultimately it's no different.

When on the motorway I feel as if I'm always slightly fighting the car from going left as if I'm always putting weight on the wheel kind of like a weight is on the right side pulling it down, the tracking seems alright if I keep the wheel straight as it does go straight but it seems to drift left getting progressively worse until I have to inevitably grab and steer back. One thing I also noticed is there's also slight vibrations through when wheel at pretty much all speeds although it feels like it's only coming from the right side which is odd, as it's not massive noticeable like the balancing is off but there's definitely a weird feeling as if it's fidgeting somewhat. I just put this down to new tires giving better road feel though as my old ones I had were ER300s by Bridgestone originally fitted by Lexus.

In addition to the drifting the car seems to also turn left whoever I hit a pothole, the wheel will centre basically instantly if I turn left, but if I turn right the car feels more eager to turn in but the wheel doesn't return as fast as it does when turning right; in fact it kind of sits a few degrees off centre to the right and never returns to full centre. I'm totally confused as to where I should go next as this problem seems to be getting kicked down the road, I originally left my car at the tire place who fitted them originally "who are a chain" for two days and all they did is the tracking and wheel balancing; so I'm losing all hope due to the fact it's so bad to drive and I just want it sorted. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what areas to look for or what I should be asking from the original tire fitters? 

p.s Sorry for the war and peace, it's all making me very sad.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure whether the box has the setting for setting the steering. Diagnostics could reset the steering. Before going to the expense why not swap the tyres from nearside to offside and see if the symptoms change. Are the tyres directional and of the same  tread. Check that there is no brake drag on the wheels. With the front lifted it may highlight something in the steering. Best of luck.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links