Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just gone out to my LS400 (1999 T reg) and after a brief sluggish effort to start, it died completely. Now just a rapid clicking noise when I turn the ignition key. In recent days I have noticed a certain hesitation before starting up. Not used the car a lot in recent days but have for short trips.

Is this just a Battery gone flat? And if so does it probably need a new one or can it just be recharged?

Or could it be something else? Strange thing is that the instruments are as bright as anything, and interior lights also working.

Any suggestions anyone can offer will be most welcome, thanks!

Chris

It sounds like the Battery to me.

If I were you, firstly I would try recharging the Battery, but you do need to find out what has drained it.

Perhaps an interior light was left on? I have heard of batteries being drained by the glove box not shutting off it's internal-light because the glove box was too full of stuff. It might be an idea to only charge the Battery now, and tonight when it is dark, look inside the car to see if anything is on and fix it. Then you can be more confidant that the Battery will not be drained again.

If recharging does not resolve it for long, it could be time for a new Battery, I'm told the average like of a Battery is about 5 years, but no idea how much above average the Lexus batteries will be.

Good luck

Sorry guys, really basic question here but I couldn't see it covered in the manual. I can just stick the charging clips straight on to the terminals with the Battery still in place, can't I, after disconnecting the wires to the two terminals that are there now?

If you dsconnect the existing terminals, you may have all sorts of things to reset afterwards, like clock, set memory maybe, alarm etc.

It is normally fine to piggy back a mains Battery charger to the batterery terminals while the leads are still connected. This is what the AA do to start cars and how you would do it with jump leads from another car.

• 2 weeks later...

hi.. it, sounds like the Battery yes,,, but check the water in the cells first BEFORE you take a charging....

I can told ju ,,, My Battery in my -93 LS 400 do I change last year,,, it, was the originabattery from the factory,,,, 11 Year... in the cold sweden...:)

The warranty at the Battery from Toyota/Lexus,,, is 8 year... here in sweden!

in the swedish eastcoast is it now,,,, about 15-18gr... Celsius,,, ***** the autum is here soon,,, :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links