Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed!

stu10

Hi all im new to the lexus world i have recently bought a lexus is200 navigator it has 85k on the clock and is a automatic, well for the advice i need: the car cut out today for no reason and it is idling quite low when stopped and parked up but this is what i need to no when i reved it quite hard a puff of smoke came out the exhaust and that was it. The car has been stood for a little while am i being paranoid over nothing or is this a sign of my head gasket going.

PLEASE PUT MY MIND REST. Thanks

Stu

How low is it idleing? Mine idles at about 500rpm anyway when warmed up. As for the cutting out, I have no idea. Are there any warning lights come on? If the traction control light comes on on the dash or flashes it can be a sign of a coil pack on one of the cylinders going. If there are no other symptoms, maybe you could reset the ecu and give it another go. Older cars / ones with migh milage can sometimes give out smoke at high load - my old 1999 IS200 gave the odd puff at max revs, but didn't cause any problems.

How low is it idleing? Mine idles at about 500rpm anyway when warmed up. As for the cutting out, I have no idea. Are there any warning lights come on? If the traction control light comes on on the dash or flashes it can be a sign of a coil pack on one of the cylinders going. If there are no other symptoms, maybe you could reset the ecu and give it another go. Older cars / ones with migh milage can sometimes give out smoke at high load - my old 1999 IS200 gave the odd puff at max revs, but didn't cause any problems.

it idles at between 200-300 mine is a 1999 how do you reset ecu. do you think it could of cut out from it be stood for a while and it bein low on petrol till i got it to a petrol station.Thanks

200-300 seems a tad low to me. I wouldn't reset the ecu just yet, since doing that will erase any error codes found and stored there. Low fuel could be a problem, since a lot of crap can settle in the bottom of the tank, especially on cars a few years older. Has it been running better since you put in a fresh tank?

It might be best to get it checked out at a garage anyway.

Oh, and welcome to the club! ^_^

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links