Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Owning a Windom ?

adamd

Hi Adam

Welcome to Team Lexus!

Great to hear your thinking of buying a Windom... you should find trouble free motoring as the windom is a very reliable model. Here are a few tips to look out for on an 92 model.

Remove the oil cap and look inside the top part of the engine and make sure it looks pretty clean, black thick oil should be avoided... although you can allow a bit of black oil, just make sure it gets serviced before purchase. Apparently you should not have to service Windoms until every 9 months... on a 92 I would do it every 6 months (depending on the heat over there)

Suspension... make sure their are no knocks when going over bumps... Windoms to have a tendancy to go through Shocks in no time at all.

Engine mounts.... check for worn stabilisers mounts, these are easy to replace but can be quite common in old windoms, can lead to Jerking of the transmission and jerking when pulling away and stopping.

stabilzer.jpg

Speedometer Needles... On the windom you will find the needles are LED, these do tend to burn out, this is a design fault and is quite a nuisance when you canot see the needle at all. To prevent these burning out just adjust the lighting of the dash to a lower setting.. this should prolong the life of the LED needles.

Front Lights... these can be a pain... once condensation starts to enter the lights it is really hard to stop it.... and can end up with a new lighting unit.

Tappy engines... older windoms or Lexus ES300 do tend to be a little tappy in it's older years.. pretty normal.

Hope this helps... I am sure there are some bits I have missed out... please fell free to ask any questions.

Usually if Windom is looked after you should not encounter any of the problems above and most of the faults are minor anyway.

[Edited on 18-2-2002 by Administrator]

Thats great information, will check all those possible issues before committing myself.

There are quite a few Windoms on the road over here ( as well as other Jap imports) and I have never heard any bad comments about them.

The government over here is banning any pre 1996 imports from 1st April because they say the Jap crash tests were not strict enough until then.

Thanks a lot.

Adam

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links