Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello And A Few Quick Q.s

BigLT

Hello all on the Lexus forum.

I will soon be driving my new Mk1 V300. It has an aftermarket exhaust and induction kit (for info it is also very clean, silver w/black leather and lowered with nice 17'' wheels)

Overall I like the car, but I am considering adding a boost controller, plugs etc over time.

I am a teacher and the boys will want to know 'what does it do sir?' - I have read so many different quotes for power and performance on the web.

Can anyone tell me what kind of power, 0-60 and top speed (it is delimitted) I should expect as it is, and what improvement a boost controller would make.

Also, I didn't find it that quick off the mark(top end was great) and wondered if anybody had any tips on improving this - other than stripping the car and going on a diet.

Thanks in advance

Liam

Liam, I put down a few words on the best way to extract more power from the 2JZ-GTE engine in this forum, it's called 'Basic 2JZ-GTE tuning guide' and it should put you on the right track. I'm no expert, but I had a Supra and that's basically everything I picked up and learnt. Power is anything from 280-320bhp depending on the condition of the engine, 0-60 for stock is something like 6.5secs and it should hit 170mph with enough room/power.

Thanks, its important because 'classroom power' figures need to be more accurate than 'pub bragging' figures as they are straight on the net to try to prove you wrong, lol.

I'll have a good look at your guide Aristopheles. I've had skylines, lancer turbos etc in the past, so I guess the same basic ideas apply - with some cars though there are little specific things that make a difference.

I apologise in advance to everyone for asking lots of questions!!!

Liam

Ok, just read the tuning guide which is very helpful. I need a boost gauge, new plugs, fuel pump and a restrictor ring.

Couple of questions

Where do I get a restrictor ring from? Never heard of one of these before - how will I know if I have the right one and it has been fitted correctly?

The car has an induction kit fitted already. On skylines it is possible to buy various 'shrowds' to protect the filter from hot air. Is there an aftermarket one available for the V300 or is it something you need to make yourself?

I was thinking of a boost controller and using the gauge on that. It will not be much more expensive than buying a decent gauge and pod. Do you really not recommend upping the boost with standard turbos?

Is the fuel pump really necessary at this point?

I've seen something advertised as 'front pipes' for the Aristo. I don't think it was a decat (?) They were pretty cheap - worth buying?

Thanks again

Liam

Here's exactly what you need http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cfm?f...product_id=2149 - it's really nothing more than a washer so it shouldn't pose a problem for any decent garage.

You can buy cold air boxes for Supras, but because the under bonnet area is slightly different on the Aristo, I'm not sure if these will fit. Might end up being a bit of a DIY job. Which induction kit have you got?

Using a boost controller to keep an eye on your boost is a good idea - I plan to do the same thing - neater than pods and gauges too. You don't *need* a boost controller at this stage, as once you remove both cats, raising boost won't be an issue. Running 1.2bar, which is 0.4bar over stock, is about as far as you can safely go on stock turbos, especially the JDM ceramics.

The fuel pump is just a safety precaution really - most are old now and the stock one will struggle. The stock 440cc injectors run at something like 95% duty cycle at BPU, so that's something else to consider once you want to go further than BPU. You can pick up Walbros for about £75 on eBay, but it's not absolutely essential right now, though I would get one sooner rather than later.

Sounds like decat pipes, just make sure they are for the Mk1. Afaik, you can't buy these off the shelf and you'll normally need to get a set custom made - Envy Performance can do them for around £250 I think. They are essential as the cats are what limits the boost on the car. Without them and with no restrictor ring, boost will reach silly - and dangerous levels - but rather than trying to raise boost with a boost controller and keeping them in it is much better to junk them completely.

Hope this helps

Seb

Ok, just read the tuning guide which is very helpful. I need a boost gauge, new plugs, fuel pump and a restrictor ring.

Couple of questions

Where do I get a restrictor ring from? Never heard of one of these before - how will I know if I have the right one and it has been fitted correctly?

The car has an induction kit fitted already. On skylines it is possible to buy various 'shrowds' to protect the filter from hot air. Is there an aftermarket one available for the V300 or is it something you need to make yourself?

I was thinking of a boost controller and using the gauge on that. It will not be much more expensive than buying a decent gauge and pod. Do you really not recommend upping the boost with standard turbos?

Is the fuel pump really necessary at this point?

I've seen something advertised as 'front pipes' for the Aristo. I don't think it was a decat (?) They were pretty cheap - worth buying?

Thanks again

Liam

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links