Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Locked Seatbelt

Has anyone else had this problem with the IS250?

Got into the car one evening, pulled the seatbelt as normal, came part way and then locked. I thought it was the inurtia sytem that had cut in but it would not extend nor would it re-wind.

Very embarrasing, in a dark car park so risked the short jouney home to a more convenient place to investigate..

Had to take the panel off and bash the housing with the heel of a screwdriver. Belt wound back onto it's reel and it's been fine ever since.

I will mention it to the dealer when I next visit (when I ask him to investigate the rattle from the passenger door/dashboard area). :angry:

Frustrating to have a couple of issues on the new car especially after 7 years of driving old IS's with not so much as a blown lightbulb.

However, still loving the car - I am sure these gremlins will get sorted without question. :D :D

Hello

It seems like you are having exactly the same problem I did...I had the rattles first and then the seat belt. My drivers seat belt had the same problem - I began to wonder whether I made the right choice. It was embarrasing since it happened on the Christmas day and I had to drive from Lancaster to Mancheser without wearing the seat belt. I got out of the car and got back in again - and it worked!!!

Unfortunately on News Year day, it happened again. This time I had to drive without seat belt straight to the dealer. I got a demo car and it took a week for them to replace the seat belt.

If you have experienced that problem, please take it to the dealer because it will get locked very soon.It wil also take 4-5 days to get a replacement since its a new car. The seat belt has to come from Japan!!!!!

For all other members: This is the second worst compliant for the new IS(first one being the rattles). Unfortunatley I have been the victim of both. Head of Lexus Customer Relations ( I forgot his name) said that the only consolation for me is that other IS 250's have had the same problem(this was when I asked lexus to take the car back!!!). So dont be surprised if it becomes a common problem. Even teh RX 300 have had the same problem.

Does anyone monitors these threads and take action or is it purely for discussion?

Javeed

I too had the same problem, pulled the seat belt out to put it on and it did not retract to tighten, so had to drive home with a loose seat belt, but after driving a short distance the belt seemed to rectify itself. :blink:

This happened five days into having the new car and has not occured since. If it happens again I will go straight back to the dealer.

I too had the same problem, pulled the seat belt out to put it on and it did not retract to tighten, so had to drive home with a loose seat belt, but after driving a short distance the belt seemed to rectify itself. :blink:

This happened five days into having the new car and has not occured since. If it happens again I will go straight back to the dealer.

I have issues with the baby's car seat in my IS200 when i put the seat belt round it. The belt locks and I cannot pull it out any further to remove the baby seat. I have real job getting it sorted. Basically I have to remove the whole seat base unit, allow the belt to fully retract and then it works again. Never happened in out other car (a fiat :sad: ).

I would guess it's something related to the inertia reel system which may have moved over the new IS 250 as well?

Does anyone monitors these threads and take action or is it purely for discussion?

Staff from at least three dealers are active on this forum. There's someone from Lexus Edinburgh who signs in as, erm, LexusEdinburgh! Chris.S (Chris Shipley) works at another dealership. I've seen a third, but can't remember who (sorry mate).

Going from past topics (RX300 lurching & hesitancy is one of them I think) word certainly finds its way up the chain.

I have issues with the baby's car seat in my IS200 when i put the seat belt round it. The belt locks and I cannot pull it out any further to remove the baby seat. I have real job getting it sorted. Basically I have to remove the whole seat base unit, allow the belt to fully retract and then it works again. Never happened in out other car (a fiat :sad: ).

I would guess it's something related to the inertia reel system which may have moved over the new IS 250 as well?

That's a safety feature of the IS200 rear seat belts, when you pull it out far enough to go round a baby seat and let it back in it locks and won't extend back out.

The idea is that in a crash the belt won't move slightly as it would normally before the intertia lock kicks in.

• 3 years later...

Just bringing this old post back to life!

Recently purchased an 02 IS300, just put the new baby seat into the car to drive to the hospital to collect mum and new baby, went to take out the car seat and bingo! seat belt is locked.

At first thought it might be a problem, so swopped it to the other side of the car for the way home. Wow what a surprise its done the same there! Its a nightmare to get the seat out once its locked and when you have a premature baby its not great taking them out of the seat in the cold.

Any ideas on how to stop it locking? I am off to the dealer today to ask them.

Hi all

As a previous post stated, a locking seat belt is a 'feature'.

Quite why it only locks when it is extended enough to go around a baby seat or a 'large' person could not however be explained by the dealer.

So it seems that it is fairly impracticle to use most car seats on the market that have a base wich the baby seat clips into, unless you go for an ISOFIX.

Currently I have a BabeConfort Creatis.

Looks like I can only have a Britax Isofix, as MaxiCosi Isofix hasnt been tested and cannot be guaranteed to stay fixed in place if in an accident. (So I am told).

Alternatlively I can go fo a Recao Isofix, anyone have any pros/cons for either? My little girl is 5lb and 7 days old.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links