Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Se Wheel Corrosion

lyford

Hi all, my is 200 had the front wheels replaced at the first 12 monthly sevice because of corrosion of the spokes. The wheels are17 inch. I have just booked my car for the second service and the wheels are again corroded. This time worse than before. What is the solution?

Hi all, my is 200 had the front wheels replaced at the first 12 monthly sevice because of corrosion of the spokes. The wheels are17 inch. I have just booked my car for the second service and the wheels are again corroded. This time worse than before. What is the solution?

that is odd, as I have my wheels changed for the same reason and the replacement set were finished in a different way which should help avoid the problem again. You will see that the surface finish is different to your original wheel (polished on all surfaces, not partly frosted as original IS wheels).. I must say I do not think the replacements look so attractive.....

However, all I would advise you is to keep the wheels clean as far as possible. The salt in winter attacks them and giving them a wash over regularly, especially in winter to remove the salt. even when not washing the whole car, will help the problem andi well worth it. My second set are fine. I don't know whether your dealer with replace them again.... but at least keeping them clean from salt will definitely help. :winky:

that is odd, as I have my wheels changed for the same reason and the replacement set were finished in a different way which should help avoid the problem again. You will see that the surface finish is different to your original wheel (polished on all surfaces, not partly frosted as original IS wheels).. I must say I do not think the replacements look so attractive.....

However, all I would advise you is to keep the wheels clean as far as possible. The salt in winter attacks them and giving them a wash over regularly, especially in winter to remove the salt. even when not washing the whole car, will help the problem andi well worth it. My second set are fine. I don't know whether your dealer with replace them again.... but at least keeping them clean from salt will definitely help. :winky:

Welcome to the world of the Lexus IS200/300. This has been a problem since day one. :tsktsk:

I fear your only solution will be to make sure you keep taking it back to get them replaced while your car is still under warranty. As for a longer term solution, you can try to look after them by washing them every day, but the bottom line is, only after-market wheels will solve this problem in wet climates like the UK.

This is a fundamental design flaw with the IS. Just search on this website, and you will find loads of correspondence on this topic.

Hopefully this has been sorted with the new IS, but only time will tell....... :blink:

IanB :D

Many thanks Lexylady and Ian B. Lexus have agreed rplacement of both front wheels. They say the cause is brake dust but I am not a heavy brake user. Problem is , what happens to the new wheels?

Many thanks Lexylady and Ian B. Lexus have agreed rplacement of both front wheels. They say the cause is brake dust but I am not a heavy brake user. Problem is , what happens to the new wheels?

Brake dust causing corrosion! Hmm, I don't believe a word of it. It's substandard alloy, not protected properly by lacquer. Reminds me of corroding engine casings on early Japanese motorbikes. Honda learned what Lexus hasn't. Pity, since otherwise the car is fantastic.

My wife's Focus Zetec has perfect alloy wheels after 3 years of being parked outside and driven every day. Wheels are washed on average once a month in a car wash. My Lexus wheels look shabby by comparison.

Do look at the other threads on this topic. It's a real saga :o

IanB :D

Your new wheels will corrode due to the fact that they will only have a single coat of laquer on them, all Lexus alloys suffer from corrosion because of the salt that is put down on UK roads in the winter months. Your only solution is to keep asking your dealer for replacement alloys whlist the car is within its warranty period. Once your car is out of warranty your best off getting the alloys re-furbished (once the alloys have seriously corroded). Do a search on this forum and you will find many posts relating to corroded alloys.....

well lyford, you are getting much the same advice from everyone. Brake dust is obviously not the problem, I am definitely not heavy on the brakes and mine went the same way from new - no it is definitely the lacquer which does not resist salt. I have a link with Japan in that my son has been working in tokyo for two years now and he tells me they do not put salt on their roads in the winter and the original lacquer used does not withstand the tons of salt put on our roads in the UK. . it is as simple as that. My replacements have been fine for a year now, but do just wash them over regularly, just the wheels, I am sure this helps and of course removes the salt reasonably quickly from them. Mine are still good... so good luck! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links