Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Balancing - Wobble On The Gs

Believe its a common issue with the GS where you get wheel wobble at speed (mine was pretty bad around 60-80)

Despite having the Wheels balanced before...didnt solve the problem and thought it was the wheels (they are OZ's) or the tyres (Yokahoma Decibels)

However, had a chat with WIM (Wheels In Motion - What a helpful and excellent guy!) and he suggested 90% balance problem and 10% tread pattern.

He suggested having the whells balanced as centreless rims (where they are balanced on a plate the same as your discs rather than using the centre hole on the wheel). As often, the centre hole is cosmetic and not dead centre....so balancing your wheels using this "hole" just gives a constant error.

Anyway, just had them done using the centreless rim method and shes now as smooth as a baby :)

Actually quite difficult finding somewhere that does it (took me 5 calls before I found somewhere that did locally) but well worth it.

(ATS in Cannock - £27 and fast/friendly service for anyone that lives near there - not sure if all ATS can do)

Thanks again WIM for your advice :) and hopefully others may be able to benefit by having this done.

Good for you. I am glad the problem is now sorted. The wheel centre has been a nemesis for many years.. It's embarrassing to think the likes of Peugeot/Citroen closed the wheel centre back in the 80's forcing the correct "studded balance" method.

Maybe the reason most manufacturers use an open style is so the centre cap can cover many marques or simply because the open centre reduces the volume of alloy in the cast?

Whatever, the distress you showed is pitifully common hence my easy directive to solve the problem.

Peugeot/Citroen closed the wheel centre back in the 80's forcing the correct "studded balance" method.

I have a set of Saxo VTR alloys in the garden and noticed last week that the centres were solid, I'd never seen that before. Now I know why.

To save time I phoned my local ATS and they said yes bring it in they can do it, so I did only to find out their adaptor plate wont fit my wheel "Da" so they did it the normal way and found both wheels were 10 grams out. Lexus Wolverhampton said my wheels are spot on, Lexus also had cranked up my wheel nuts way way too tight. :unsure:

Note:- I would not have Lexus Wolverhampton sweep my floor.. EVER.

I will be going to ATS Cannock to get it done because its still not right, alot better yes, but still a slight wobble at 60 :crybaby:

Peugeot/Citroen closed the wheel centre back in the 80's forcing the correct "studded balance" method.

I have a set of Saxo VTR alloys in the garden and noticed last week that the centres were solid, I'd never seen that before. Now I know why.

I find plants are much prettier :)

To save time I phoned my local ATS and they said yes bring it in they can do it, so I did only to find out their adaptor plate wont fit my wheel "Da" so they did it the normal way and found both wheels were 10 grams out. Lexus Wolverhampton said my wheels are spot on, Lexus also had cranked up my wheel nuts way way too tight. :unsure:

Note:- I would not have Lexus Wolverhampton sweep my floor.. EVER.

I will be going to ATS Cannock to get it done because its still not right, alot better yes, but still a slight wobble at 60 :crybaby:

They'll wonder whats happening - 2 lexus's in a week - Mine got quite a bit of attention....but that seems to be common now.....My wife answered the door the other day because the postman had a recorded letter....and he asked where "the car" was - she asked him what car - He said "the lexus....I like to look at it as nice car.......".

On Sunday I filled up with petrol and the guy behind the counter asks me if he can ask me a question. He wanted to know what the GS was like - as he was thinking of getting one or maybe an X-type jag......I put him on the correct path of course ;o)

Wandered a little of course there.....

can guarantee my car wont be going anywhere near Lexus Wolverhampton.

Hope you get it sorted Newport ....let us know if it does the trick....Wave as you go past Penkridge :) (suppose depends which side of Wolves you live)

I find plants are much prettier :)

The wheels are much lower maintenance :tomato:

Sorted, well happy :winky: went to ATS Cannock the guys there are very good they found one of my front wheels slightly buckled they said it will be ok on the back, (they showed me the buckle) no one else picked up on that, they checked all the wheels and only one was out by 5 grams.

They were fast and no hanging around, I said good job guys how much do I owe you they said nothing they did all that work for free I was shocked what a service.

The car is just perfect now thanks to Wheels-inmotion.co.uk and you Mark W and the guys at ATS Cannock (Dan & buddys).

Thanks again Mark W, I could not wave to you as I came in along the A5 from Newport Shropshire, it was well worth the drive to Cannock the fast food there is alot better than here also.

I know where Im going to buy my tyres in the future, my car now drives 'sooo nice' even better at low speeds.

LOC does it again, thank you all.

Glad you got it sorted mate....I also noticed reduced road noise (not that there was much but now you can literally hear a pin drop in the car)

and you also had chance to sample to culinary delights of Cannock :)

Newport is a nice place.....missus's friend moving there next month (wrongly assumed you lived Wolves due to Lex Wolverhampton - didnt make connection with your name)

It's embarrassing to think the likes of Peugeot/Citroen closed the wheel centre back in the 80's forcing the correct "studded balance" method.

Yes, used to have an 1986 Renault 25 years ago, the alloys also had no centre holes, took me ages to find somewhere that could balance them.

I always thought it was Renault having a stipid design, now I know why

• 3 weeks later...

I've been battling with a balance problem on my GS430SE for 6 months. Nearly sorted now (after over £2K spent on wheels, tyres, balancing, wheels (again), tyres (again), balancing, etc).

I am planning to take the car to ATS in Cannock for a final attempt, since they seem to be 'the good guys' (I had my MOT there recently and mentioned the owners club - they were really chuffed to hear that we rate them!)

By the way, is there anywhere on the website for us to post our recommendations - I think it would be a great way for us all to benefit, and might have helped me earlier in my struggle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links