Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is250 Thoughts - Help Needed!

davrid

Have had my new IS250SE for about a month now - it replaced an Alfa 159, which lasted for about 2 months from new before I decided it had to go on the basis I simply could never get comfortable driving it, the so called upgraded BOSE hifi was rubbish, and some of the build quality left a lot to be desired eg a sharp edge on the gear stick.

Well, as to my Lexus: Overall very happy (the MM is great, as is the overall build quality) with it other than a couple of issues. Firstly, the car seems to steer to the left, I think consequently or maybe incidentally, it's the hardest car to drive I've ever had. Secondly, the headlights are simply awful and I dread night time driving on dipped lights, it's almost impossible to see anything. Has anyone noticed similar problems?

I felt safer if less comfortable in the 159, and most people seem to think that car was better looking, though most of the 'chrome' external fittings were actually plastic eg the front grill etc and looked decidely cheap very close up. Fuel economy on the Alfa was much better.

So as to the issues with the IS250. Has anyone noticed similar problems?

Are the headlight misaligned and pointing too high? Take it back to the dealer if you have concerns, they'll sort it out for you and check everything over. The 159 is a wonderful car. It feels more planted on the road than the IS and that's probably why you feel safer driving it. With regards to looks, being brutally honest, a Japanese saloon is never going to be a match for what the Italians can do with a piece of paper and some crayons so yes the IS is uglier than the 159 in my opinion. Fuel economy also isn't great. The IS is a 6-cylinder engine and the 159 is 4. I assume your 159 was a smaller engine too? That would explain the fuel economy. They're both very different cars, each good for different reasons. Hope you get things sorted.

Keith :)

Are the headlight misaligned and pointing too high? Take it back to the dealer if you have concerns, they'll sort it out for you and check everything over. The 159 is a wonderful car. It feels more planted on the road than the IS and that's probably why you feel safer driving it. With regards to looks, being brutally honest, a Japanese saloon is never going to be a match for what the Italians can do with a piece of paper and some crayons so yes the IS is uglier than the 159 in my opinion. Fuel economy also isn't great. The IS is a 6-cylinder engine and the 159 is 4. I assume your 159 was a smaller engine too? That would explain the fuel economy. They're both very different cars, each good for different reasons. Hope you get things sorted.

Keith :)

Thanks Keith - the 159 was a 2.4 diesel comapred to the 2.5 Lexus petrol. The Lexus gives about 28mpg whereas the Alfa 40 plus. Have had other 2 and a half litre card before, and they weren't so thirsty as the Lexus. But if I can resolve the headlight and sterring problems, I'll be more than happy with it.

Ooh the 2.4 JTD. I didn't own one but I've driven one a few times and it's just a phenomenal engine. The torque is just unbelievable. I'm not one for modifying cars but there are tuning chips you can get for them that push the torque into silly tyre shredding figures. Fabulous cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links