Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

External Cd Changer

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum although I have been a member for some time and I have read with interest and gained a lot of useful information.

I have owned my IS200 SE for just under 2 years and absolutely love it but just last week my radio/CD came up with dreaded ERR3. I have stripped it down and managed to extract all 6 discs, my unit is the earlier bottom CD slot one!!

Now I have searched on here and read just about every post on the ERR3 saga and have come to the conclusion that there's not a lot I can do with my CD changer but I read with great interest the post from Sonnet on connecting an Ipod using the Grom Audio interface.

My question is:-

As this unit plugs into the empty socket on the back of the head unit which is meant for an external CD changer or mini disk has anyone investigated fitting an external changer?

I have searched the net and on eBay and there are several options for CD changers both aftermarket and Toyota ones.

I have found this site for example http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Changers/Fac...yota_CD_Changer who can supply various CD changers including an adapter to fit most Toyota head units that have a 12-Pin (2 x rows of 7 & 5 pins) CD socket. Now looking at the empty socket on the back of my head unit I'd say that it's the same.

I know a lot of people will say just change the head unit for something else but I would rather keep the original unit as I want to keep the original look.

If anyone has any info or advise it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I posted on here a while ago now but didn't received any replies!!

Well I went ahead and bought a Toyota 6 disc changer from eBay chancing that it would work, I thought there should be a good chance that it should work as it had the same 12 pin connector and after all the socket on the radio is itended for an external changer.

I received the changer today and connected it up but although there is power onto the CD changer and when I insert the magazine loaded with discs the changer unit scans all the discs and seems to be OK, when I press the CD button on my head unit twice to select external CD changer (CD1) it doesn't seem to recognise it.

My head unit is the earlier bottom slot one, number 13902 and although I have extracted all the discs from the unit it still thinks that it is full of discs.

Any ideas?? Any help would be much appreciated as I am pulling my hair out here, and I haven't got much left anyway.

Thanks,

Dave.

I've now given up with the CD Changer in my Lex and fitted it in my wifes Yaris T Sport. It works fine, she's happy, job sorted.

I now realise that the CD Changer is a Matsusita and the Lexus Radio/CD is a Fujitsu Ten, so maybe they are just incompatable, the radio/CD in the Yaris is also a Matsusita.

I don't know what to do now. I'm in two minds whether to go for the Grom Audio Ipod interface, but as I don't own an Ipod it would mean buying one adding more cost, or buying another interface that I've seen on eBay that has a SD card slot.

I will still keep my eye out for a working Radio/CD unit on eBay, although the bottom slot ones don't seem to come up that often, or I will have to keep looking for an external CD changer that's compatable.

Any thoughts anyone??

Dave.

I've now given up with the CD Changer in my Lex and fitted it in my wifes Yaris T Sport. It works fine, she's happy, job sorted.

I now realise that the CD Changer is a Matsusita and the Lexus Radio/CD is a Fujitsu Ten, so maybe they are just incompatable, the radio/CD in the Yaris is also a Matsusita.

I don't know what to do now. I'm in two minds whether to go for the Grom Audio Ipod interface, but as I don't own an Ipod it would mean buying one adding more cost, or buying another interface that I've seen on ebay that has a SD card slot.

I will still keep my eye out for a working Radio/CD unit on ebay, although the bottom slot ones don't seem to come up that often, or I will have to keep looking for an external CD changer that's compatable.

Any thoughts anyone??

Dave.

Could you link to the SD card device? I would be interested in looking at this

The item I'm looking at on eBay is here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=021

I have emailed the seller of this item to asked if it's compatable with my radio/CD and given them all the details including model number etc.

They have replied that the correct item is currently out of stock but will let me know when they have it.

What do you think?

Dave.

This is the reply I got from the seller:-

The 2000 Lexus uses the big toyota connector but we are out of stock for the 98-03 connector right now. It will be reinstock later. Thank you!

I keep you posted with any more news.

Dave.

• 3 years later...

Hi again,

I posted on here a while ago now but didn't received any replies!!

Well I went ahead and bought a Toyota 6 disc changer from ebay chancing that it would work, I thought there should be a good chance that it should work as it had the same 12 pin connector and after all the socket on the radio is itended for an external changer.

I received the changer today and connected it up but although there is power onto the CD changer and when I insert the magazine loaded with discs the changer unit scans all the discs and seems to be OK, when I press the CD button on my head unit twice to select external CD changer (CD1) it doesn't seem to recognise it.

My head unit is the earlier bottom slot one, number 13902 and although I have extracted all the discs from the unit it still thinks that it is full of discs.

Any ideas?? Any help would be much appreciated as I am pulling my hair out here, and I haven't got much left anyway.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi dave? Don here. Have you found a solution to your problem yet? Coz im also facing the same 'Error3' problem. Pulled out the HU, no cds were stacked, so i have no idea wats wrong.

Iv been thinking of hooking up an external cd changer, but from what iv seen in your post, it wont help, unless i look for a fijutsi cd changer.

So i just wanted to find out whats the way foward.

Im new to LOC, So pliz forgive me for the long essay.

Thanks

Dontezza

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links