Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ice Options

I've got a few bits of ICE from my old car that was crashed but they are just sitting around catching dust.

The parts in question are...

A JBL Amp

A pair of Infinity Kappa 6x9s

and a Single DIN Kenwood HU

I've read Wozza's guide to changing the OEM Changer but I wanted to ask a few questions relating to the whole ICE thing.

1) using an aftermarket HU and bypass lead, does it improve or reduce the sound quality of the oem speakers in any way?

the amp that i have is a 2 channel amp and the HU is 4 channel from what i remember, i've read that the one in car is 8 channel.

Therefore...

2) can i still utilise the JBL amp in some sort of way, if so what can I do with it?

3) if the HU is only 4 channel, how will it power the 8 speakers found in the car?!

Sorry I know ive asked quite detailed questions but i reckon this has to be the place to do so!

Thanks everyone

1) using an aftermarket HU and bypass lead, does it improve or reduce the sound quality of the oem speakers in any way?

I didn't notice much difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

the amp that i have is a 2 channel amp and the HU is 4 channel from what i remember, i've read that the one in car is 8 channel.

Therefore...

2) can i still utilise the JBL amp in some sort of way, if so what can I do with it?

3) if the HU is only 4 channel, how will it power the 8 speakers found in the car?!

It's complicated! But basically the bypass lead will allow you to run the 8 lexus channels from the 4 outputs on the headunit, and do it well, as some of the speakers are tiny tweeters and the 6x9s run a different impendence (not worth getting into!)

I would reccommend that you swap out the standard 6x9s for your better ones, running from the 2 channel amp. Replace the headunit, with the bypass lead. The headunit will then run the standard front speakers. Spend a few quid on aftermarket 6" front speakers to improve detail up front.

I currently (temporarily) running just 6x9s (amped) and a sub, and sounds pretty decent, though is missing a bit of soundstage up front! I'll get round to it one day!

Hope this helps.

In my last car I fitted a Pioneer 77MP head unit and some Infinity Reference speakers all round. It sounded good, but the factory setup in my IS200 nearly always sounds much better.

There is only one difference - even though the sound is much more powerful, clearer, better bass, it sometimes sounds a bit 'coloured' compared to my last set up.

My hunch is that the head unit and amp are very good in the Lexus, but the speakers probably aren't quite as good as the ones in my last car?

I doubt I'll change them though, now that I've got used to the sound in the IS200 it's great, it's only when I compared back to back that I noticed.

put very simply...... (unless you have OE Lexus Sat-Nav)

New Head Unit running the front speakers, RCA Phono's to the Boot, JBL Amp powering the Infinity 6x9's.

Then all you need is to modify an Autoleads facia and you are done :winky:

With the system set up that way, you have no need for the bypass lead. You should be able to power the front

speakers ok from the new head unit, but you will need to find the correct wiring. I can't help there as it was too

long ago that mine all came out. Or you can buy the 'bypass cable' and just plug & play.

There is a seller on E-Bay that does the bypass cable & autoleads facia as a package very cheaply.

(safe n sound I think they were called from Croydon)

Where in London are you ?

Sorry for the late reply, forgot my login details so couldnt login from work. I'm in NW London. I read the replies and made a few calls, one guy said 70 for the work another said 100! are these reasonable prices or are they jacked up cos i told them its for a lexus?

also wozza i cant find your walkthrough of how to open up the whole dash/console. can you put a link up 4 me?

thanks 4 all the replies!

send me a PM with your email address & I will send it to you :D

£70 to install 6x9's (will need spacers & hopefully he included this in the price) and put an amp in the boot etc doesn't sound to bad,

are you going to buy the bypass cable too ?

the guy asking for 70 will want all the accesories already, hes just gonna fit evrything in.

the guy asking for 100 will supply all the parts i.e. wiring, facia etc etc.

However, I was thinking of getting the facia and doing all the mods that you have outlined and giving him the finished product, otherwise it would just look cheap. I reckon he would take some cash off accordingly.

Or....

Do it all myself with the help of a mate?

Where would the amp be installed at the back, screwed on to the backseats?

...I was thinking of getting the facia and doing all the mods that you have outlined and giving him the finished product, otherwise it would just look cheap. I reckon he would take some cash off accordingly.

Sounds like the best option, unless you have a talented mate......

are you chopping wiring or using the bypass cable ?

...I was thinking of getting the facia and doing all the mods that you have outlined and giving him the finished product, otherwise it would just look cheap. I reckon he would take some cash off accordingly.

Sounds like the best option, unless you have a talented mate......

hes ok..ish

i think ill do the facia and pass it all on to him.

ill still pm you for the walkthrough.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links