Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dead Tach And Speedometer Needles

Quite often when I start my 93 LS400, the tach and speedometer needles are illuminated but rest on zero. Independently, they usually start to work after a short time. Sometimes just revving the engine makes the tach work. Any suggestions and is this a common problem with the 93.

Curt

Hi Curt, I do repairs on the lighting problems of the LS400 instrument lights. That places me in a unique position such that people with other problems such as yours will Email me to inquire about the problem.

I can tell you this, it's not a very common problem, but I have heard of it before. I have received probably 3-4 Emails in the last 5 months from people with that problem.

Although I have never had an opportunity to troubleshoot that particular problem before, I would be happy to try to repair it for you if you want. If I'm unable to repair it, I'll ship it back to you and you can just pay for the shipping. If I am able to repair it, I'll charge you the same fee as I charge for my dash light repair.

Jim Walker

Fresno, California USA

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for the reply Jim, I will certainly keep you in mind. I just recently purchased this car and I have a few over issues to work out before I tackle removing the display. I just received a set of maintenance manuals today so I can start to work on them. It definitely seems to be an internal display problem, the trip odometer keeps running up, even when the speedometer is reading zero. The tach has been working normally for the last two days. Definitely something intermittent going on here. I will let you know, BTW, what is your normal charge for this work? Thanks again.

Curt

Well, I hesitate to say how much I charge, I was spanked recently by the Forum Cops for sounding too commercial. I'm really just another LS400 owner who happens to be an Electronics Engineer and like to help out other people and make a few bucks on the side.

You can find me on eBay by doing a search for Lexus LS400 Dash Lights. You can also Email me directly, that way I can say whatever I want without fear of the LOC swat team showing up at my door. :ph34r:

By the way, if you want detailed instructions on how to remove the instrument cluster and take it apart. I have written such instructions and all you need is a philips screw driver.

Just ask me for a copy. For that matter, this offer is open to anyone on the forum that wants it. I don't charge anything for my instructions. :arrrggg-matey:

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

• 4 weeks later...

Jim,

That's very reasonable. My tach needle works but is not fully lighted, I'll live with it for a while longer.

It's great to see someone providing this service at a much more reasonable price than dealer/ other sources. I have had friends/ customers that are/ have doctorates and it's not usually wise to call them Dr. whoever in public. Why? Because their price will tripple as well. As soon as someone hears Lexus the price tripples.

Joe

jsullivan@getthehatter.com

Jim

If you can provide us with some documentation on how to repair these for our UK members then I am sure we can work something out for our US members.

PM me if you would like a chat about it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links