Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I'm new to Lexus, never owned one but always admired from afar since seeing the original LS years ago. I'm considering buying a Mk III GS 300 SE, probably a late 2006/early 2007 example.

However, I've read a few conflicting statements on various parts of the Internet. I wonder if anyone on here can shed any light on these:

Do the rear seats on the GS 300 SE fold down to allow long items to be carried?

Does the GS 300 engine really need to be revved hard to produce much power?

Are there really no independent garages capable for servicing Lexus cars in the Reading area?

Anyone got any experience of running one of these on lpg?

Thanks,

Russell

Hi All,

I'm new to Lexus, never owned one but always admired from afar since seeing the original LS years ago. I'm considering buying a Mk III GS 300 SE, probably a late 2006/early 2007 example.

However, I've read a few conflicting statements on various parts of the Internet. I wonder if anyone on here can shed any light on these:

Do the rear seats on the GS 300 SE fold down to allow long items to be carried?

Does the GS 300 engine really need to be revved hard to produce much power?

Are there really no independent garages capable for servicing Lexus cars in the Reading area?

Anyone got any experience of running one of these on lpg?

Thanks,

Russell

H Russel,

There's another thread below explaining the virtues of a GS, but to answer your questions.

1- no

2-no

3-not sure

4-no. To mess with the fuel, ie convert to LPG on a new car I don't think is wise. People who buy the 300 do so for the good power to fuel consumption ratio. A motorway run can see 40mpg. If you want a car with better mpg I'd advise a diesel BMW or similar. When I bought my GS I chose the car not because of MPG but to appreciate a silent, refined alternative to the general German brand. Saying this I'm not sure of the implications of LPG on the engine but I'm sure someone with advise. I can't see it being good for it though! A GS is worth sacrificing a few MPG for the ownership benefits.

Thanks for all of that.

I had considered the GS300 for much the same reasons as you. It's a lovely car and doesn't come with the same image as BMW, Audi etc.

However, that non-folding rear seat is probably going to be a showstopper for me. I have things that are 1.5-2m long that I need to move on a weekly basis and someone told me that the seats fold on SE models but not on base ones. Ah well, shame

Regarding lpg, it was just a thought. I don't really do enough mileage to justify the cost of the conversion. But my job is not secure and I could easily end up with a new job and a commute that would justify it.

Thanks again for your advice.

Russell.

Thanks for all of that.

I had considered the GS300 for much the same reasons as you. It's a lovely car and doesn't come with the same image as BMW, Audi etc.

However, that non-folding rear seat is probably going to be a showstopper for me. I have things that are 1.5-2m long that I need to move on a weekly basis and someone told me that the seats fold on SE models but not on base ones. Ah well, shame

Regarding lpg, it was just a thought. I don't really do enough mileage to justify the cost of the conversion. But my job is not secure and I could easily end up with a new job and a commute that would justify it.

Thanks again for your advice.

Russell.

Hello,

There's a fold down panel between the seats that you can put things through but not large enough for bookcases etc. I transported a 2 meter tree this way, minus a few leaves all was ok!

I'm starting a new job soon which involves a 500mile per week commute. I'm offsetting the cost of the fuel for comfort and reliability. These engines can amass a huge mileage so I should be ok until I change car, probably for a GS hybrid, if they make the boot bigger!!!!!

Hello,

There's a fold down panel between the seats that you can put things through but not large enough for bookcases etc. I transported a 2 meter tree this way, minus a few leaves all was ok!

I'm starting a new job soon which involves a 500mile per week commute. I'm offsetting the cost of the fuel for comfort and reliability. These engines can amass a huge mileage so I should be ok until I change car, probably for a GS hybrid, if they make the boot bigger!!!!!

Hmmm....that fold down panel sounds interesting. I must find a GS300 to have a look at. My local dealer had only a 2006 GS450h and the boot really is tiny on that. I'm not sure you'd get a set of golf clubs in it. I went to look last Saturday and it was only on my way to my allotment later that it occured to me that I'd need to transport my rake, bean sticks etc down there.

Ouch that commute sounds like hard work. I spent some time working in Swindon and that's a 130mile round trip for me so I sympathise with the comfortable car requirements.

Good luck with the hybrid. Apart from the boot it seemed a very nice car. The dealer was offering a roof box to make up for the lack of boot space. It occured to me that would undo the fuel savings of the hybrid but I may be wrong.

Russell.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links