Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Diy Front Fog-light Refurb - Anyone Done It?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone refurbed their front fog-lights?

Mine weren't working at all and looked like this...

cimg1435.jpg

and...

cimg1433.jpg

Having been quoted £400 for the pair I decided to have a go at sorting them myself.

I took them out and it wasn't good. Both were totally mangled and they would never ever work again. One didn't even have the lighting unit inside! It looked like the end of the road and I told the Mrs (it's her car) that she'd have to do without them. Unfortunately for the week after I told her she'd have to do without we had thick fog all week! I really didn't want to pay £400 though!

So here's what happened...

Set oven to 60 degrees centigrade and stick the lights in to warm up...

cimg1491.jpg

Grab the Mrs hairdryer and an old screwdriver.

Once the lights are warm take one out and use the hairdryer to keep it warm. The heat softens the thick glue that holds them together so you can slowly and carefully dig it out.

When you've removed enough glue you can separate the lens from the main unit and remove the reflector from the lens.

You end up with something like this...

cimg1490.jpg

You can see the remains of the old broken lighting units in the middle bowl.

Grab some extra fine sandpaper and some reflective paint (I've got a base coat and clear lacquer as well).

Sand down the old reflective coating to make a smooth finish for the paint/lacquer and spray away.

Here's where I am just now...

cimg1492.jpg

I'm using plasti-kote metallic paint from B&Q/Halfords.

While you're waiting on the paint to try grab some of these...

cimg1489.jpg

They fit perfectly inside the main unit - you'd think they were designed exactly for that purpose. Take a look at the pic...

cimg1493.jpg

They're Luminator 3's which are readily available online and in car parts shops.

That's as far as I've got at the moment. The plan is to fit the luminator 3's inside the unit and then put the re-painted reflectors back in with the lens. I'm pretty sure if I do it right you'd never know they were butchered originals.

The paint cost £5 (£15 if you include primer and lacquer) and the lights were £30. Sanding pads cost £3 for 180 and 240 grit. I've got some silicon sealant and a gun for £7 to glue it all back together again.

I already have a crimping tool and cable but you can get this for £20. I reckon if you had no tools at all you could do the whole job properly for £75 - a hell of a lot less than new lights. If you already have the tools and silicon etc it's £45!

I'll keep you updated...

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Great guide. Looking forward to have a look at these once you finish all the work! Both of mine fogs do not function at the moment and one is damaged and condensated inside. Got a used one for a swap and hopefully will be able to build 2 working fog lights out of 3 :) If not - your guide will definitely come in handy ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks.

The most time-consuming bit had been removing the glue that holds it all together. It's REALLY sticky and a pain in the 4RSE to remove. I'm trying to decide whether I'm better to try and fully seal the unit or whether I should leave it open to the elements so it can breathe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks.

The most time-consuming bit had been removing the glue that holds it all together. It's REALLY sticky and a pain in the 4RSE to remove. I'm trying to decide whether I'm better to try and fully seal the unit or whether I should leave it open to the elements so it can breathe.

Very timely as one of my fogs has decided to stop working. I see you posted on detailing World too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Thanks.

The most time-consuming bit had been removing the glue that holds it all together. It's REALLY sticky and a pain in the 4RSE to remove. I'm trying to decide whether I'm better to try and fully seal the unit or whether I should leave it open to the elements so it can breathe.

Very timely as one of my fogs has decided to stop working. I see you posted on detailing World too.

Yeah, I'm on DW a lot. Once you get the detailing bug you're screwed!

I've given the reflectors 4 coats of metallic - obviously I screwed one of them up on the last coat so it'll need a bit sanded down and repainted but it's quick and easy. I plan on 3 layers of clearcoat before I put it all back together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...