Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 1st Lexus 220d Sport Mm - Some Newbie Questions

Hi to all,

Well put my deposit down on my first Lexus on Monday.

Cadoxton Grey 2006 220d Sport w/ Multimedia

Will be picking it up in a week - they are refurbing the alloys, polishing some scuffs out, MOT, checking the Sat Nav due to a DVD data error plus some usual pre-sales checks etc.

Couple of questions:

- The SatNav, is it worth the upgrade from what I assume will be the 2006 original to 2009? If its only minor map changes then i may leave it and see. If it makes changes to the overall media system it may be worth considering.

- Will the media system in the 2006 play DVDs?

- Are front parking sensors standard? Some sites suggest yes, the garage said it dont have em.

- It has full Lexus SH but due one at 60K which i believe is a biggy. A quick call to my local Lexus (Stoke) and negotiated down to £319 - is this reasonable or should I continue trying elsewhere?

If there are any other "gotchas" then please let me know, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Mick.

Hi Big Mick - Welcome to the club,

I just traded my Is200 Sport (after almost 8 years of trouble free ownership) in for a 2005 Is250 SE MM with 59k.

I can't answer many of your Q's (I'm sure someone will soon) but what I can tell you is that my 2005 plays DVD's (mine is the Mark Levinson system - not sure is all with MM are?).

Scott

Hi Big Mick - Welcome to the club,

I just traded my Is200 Sport (after almost 8 years of trouble free ownership) in for a 2005 Is250 SE MM with 59k.

I can't answer many of your Q's (I'm sure someone will soon) but what I can tell you is that my 2005 plays DVD's (mine is the Mark Levinson system - not sure is all with MM are?).

Scott

Hi Scott, mine has got the Mark Levinson system so fingers crossed!

Hi to all,

Well put my deposit down on my first Lexus on Monday.

Cadoxton Grey 2006 220d Sport w/ Multimedia

Will be picking it up in a week - they are refurbing the alloys, polishing some scuffs out, MOT, checking the Sat Nav due to a DVD data error plus some usual pre-sales checks etc.

Couple of questions:

- The SatNav, is it worth the upgrade from what I assume will be the 2006 original to 2009? If its only minor map changes then i may leave it and see. If it makes changes to the overall media system it may be worth considering.

- Will the media system in the 2006 play DVDs?

- Are front parking sensors standard? Some sites suggest yes, the garage said it dont have em.

- It has full Lexus SH but due one at 60K which i believe is a biggy. A quick call to my local Lexus (Stoke) and negotiated down to £319 - is this reasonable or should I continue trying elsewhere?

If there are any other "gotchas" then please let me know, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Mick.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

1) You may not be aware of it, but the Sat Nav input buttons disable themselves when you drive at above 10-20 mph. This means that while you are driving you can't input new destinations (neither can your passenger, which is a bit rubbish). If you get the 2009 DVD, not only you will get updated maps, but the locking feature is disabled so you can enter destinations whenever you want.

2) Yes, all MM systems play DVDs.

3) Yes , front parking sensors are standard on the Sport model. However you only get sensors on both front corners of the bumper, and none on the front of the bumper. This means the sensors won't detect obstacles that you are heading straight into, but if you are doing parallel parking for example, it will warn you about the distance between the corner of your car and the vehicle in front of you.

4) Not sure about the cost of the 60K service specifically, but I pay £240 for all other services.

Things you should look for mainly are rattles on the dashboard (common issue across the whole IS range), and the rear view mirror vibration (there is a new mirror design, check if yours has it installed).

Other than that, enjoy a great car :-)

1) You may not be aware of it, but the Sat Nav input buttons disable themselves when you drive at above 10-20 mph. This means that while you are driving you can't input new destinations (neither can your passenger, which is a bit rubbish). If you get the 2009 DVD, not only you will get updated maps, but the locking feature is disabled so you can enter destinations whenever you want.

3) Yes , front parking sensors are standard on the Sport model. However you only get sensors on both front corners of the bumper, and none on the front of the bumper. This means the sensors won't detect obstacles that you are heading straight into, but if you are doing parallel parking for example, it will warn you about the distance between the corner of your car and the vehicle in front of you.

4) Not sure about the cost of the 60K service specifically, but I pay £240 for all other services.

Things you should look for mainly are rattles on the dashboard (common issue across the whole IS range), and the rear view mirror vibration (there is a new mirror design, check if yours has it installed).

Thanks for the response.

1) Hmmmm. Quite useful to be able to modify route etc on the move. May have to upgrade. Seen the link to lexusmapupdates.

2) Cool!

3) Ah right, when i test drove the car I obviously noted the reverse cam but not the front. I was reversing out of a tight space (cars either side) so maybe I should have had a warning. I assume its just an audible beep?

4) Was £240 from a Lexus garage? If so, which one. I am sure Lexus Stoke would honour a price match :winky:

Thanks for the response.

1) Hmmmm. Quite useful to be able to modify route etc on the move. May have to upgrade. Seen the link to lexusmapupdates.

2) Cool!

3) Ah right, when i test drove the car I obviously noted the reverse cam but not the front. I was reversing out of a tight space (cars either side) so maybe I should have had a warning. I assume its just an audible beep?

4) Was £240 from a Lexus garage? If so, which one. I am sure Lexus Stoke would honour a price match :winky:

For Sat Nav input while moving you can either upgrade the DVD or you can cut some cables behind the centre console. This will not only unlock the Sat Nav, but unlock the phone, mp3 browsing and all other features disabled while in motion. You can also unlock the DVD player, as you can only watch movies while the parking brake is ON. For more info search on this forum for "Sat Nav hack".

The front sensors have an audible beep and a graphical display on the main screen when active, so you can see in which corner the obstacle is and how close or far it is. From my experience, you will only start getting a warning from the front sensors when you are very very close to an object. Parking sensors can be disabled from the dashboard, so perhaps when you test drove they might have been disabled. To be honest, even though the front sensors are there, you will hardly need/use them because after a while when you are able to judge the size of the bonnet accurately you can pretty much easily tell if you are too close to anything in front of you. Reverse cam on the other hand is the best gadget ever!

Yes £240 is from Lexus Edgware, but I must say this is by taking a 3 year service plan (0% interest).

One last thing, if it is not too personal, can I ask you how much you bought your car for? I would like to know this to evaluate the depreciation on mine, since we have the same model/spec.

One last thing, if it is not too personal, can I ask you how much you bought your car for? I would like to know this to evaluate the depreciation on mine, since we have the same model/spec.

I paid £10,995. I could have got ~£300 off this price but when the garage remembered I had asked them for the wheels to be refurbed they struggled to come down any further. I was happy with the price so didnt push, they were doing a few bits on the car for me.

They had reduced the price from £11,500 in the last week or so.

Is it from a main Lexus dealer?

That is a good price for that car, but do remember to get the Injector's checked. I am so surprised that no one else has mentioned it. Therehave been modified 5th Injector's and associated bits and bobs.

Either way, I would recommend you get a warranty on it that covers the fuel system, Turbo, DPF etc.

Hi guys, on the subject of servicing, i've got an 07 IS220d SE, which is nearing it's first major service now, and lexus oxford is trying to tuck me up for 400 - 500 for this as apparently it's one of the bigger services, they already tried to tell me my rear tyres were on 1.6mm each, and they were 4mm each i had them re-checked at another garage, are they trying to screw me? :angry:

Is it from a main Lexus dealer?

That is a good price for that car, but do remember to get the Injector's checked. I am so surprised that no one else has mentioned it. Therehave been modified 5th Injector's and associated bits and bobs.

Either way, I would recommend you get a warranty on it that covers the fuel system, Turbo, DPF etc.

Hi, no its from an independent garage. They shift around 4 lexus's a month.

Whats the best way of checking the injectors? I checked with Lexus and they have no recalls or outstanding issues against the car. Is it something that the ind garage can check or is it into Lexus.

The garage have said that they give a 3 mth warranty and will ensure that the car is right - I know thats an easy statement to make!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am still waiting for the car! Hoped to get it Sun but the garage kept waiting for the wheels to be refurbed, apparently quite degraded and taken sometime to repair.

Anyhowz, the car should have come back today for me to collect tomorrow!

As said previous, it does come with 3 month (independent) warranty direct from the garage (he sells a lot of lexux's so hoping he know the probs and is genuine) - he has said he will ensure the car is spot on.

After that, going to look for an extended warranty - seen warranty direct but would prefer Lexus for extending, not sure tho if it has to run straight after the inital manu warranty finishes?

I am conscious about all the reads about 5th injector etc - lexus reckon there's no outstanding recalls on my car, it has all service history at lexus edinburgh and I would hope that after 3 yrs and 6 mths most known issues should have occurred and gone back to be resolved, hmmm ?!?

Have been interested in the reads about the EGR valve too - Missus's car is a megane DCi 120 (actually not too bad to drive and has all the options!) - this had an engine management failure and "limp" mode about 2 months ago! Did a bit of reading and cleaned the EGR valve and now all good! Praise to the owners clubs!!!!

Mick.

At last, picked it up today!

Very happy with the drive back.

A few observations / minor issues:

Had a DVD data disk read error - noticed this when I first looked at vehicle. Garage now said that it was a copied DVD and he is ordering and sending me an orginal.

Set the climate to auto but window started to steam up slowly - had to set manual to med point air flow to window / feet. Auto set it at Low, AC on, feet only everytime.

Had a bit of bother pairing my BT phone, but cleared all personal settings and that appeared to do the trick (not sure if I cleared anything I shouldnt have - the many many maintenance icons are now all reset (they were greyed out before).

Reset MPG at garage, drove home from Sheffield town centre / M1 / A50 and tank average is 34 MPG - hmmm.

The miles before running out of diesel was 370 after filling up with 60 quids worth - not sure if this will adjust - after driving home it read 310 despite nearly being full!

Pulled into drive with full lock and notice a clunking - quick search on here suggests that could be normal - hmmm. will mention to garage!

The tickover seems to go from normal (~900 RPM) to 1200RPM where it seems to stay - could this be to charge the Battery?!?

Only one of the keys appears to work - I asked if he had checked them both. Tried to locate the Battery but wasnt obvious! Will have a search around unless someone wants to give me a clue!

Apart from that, car looks beautiful, they made a fab job of refurbing the 18's, any body panel scuffs have been polished out, sound system is immense and very happy with the gearing etc.

Only one of the keys appears to work - I asked if he had checked them both. Tried to locate the battery but wasnt obvious! Will have a search around unless someone wants to give me a clue!

One down, was scared of breaking the key but actually prised apart relatively easily, swapped batteries over to prove the other key, just need to get a Battery now (flea bay me thinks)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links