Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Con Not Working

Recently had the car serviced and on the service check sheet I noticed a day or two later that they had commented that the air con was not working. I have to say right off that it was not serviced at a Lexus dealers. I have'nt used the air con for some time but it worked fine the last time I did use it. When I press the button I just get a musty damp smell but no cold air blowing. Anybody else had anything similar? Does it need regassing or could it be something more sinister i.e. pump etc.

Sorry to hear of your problem. There are always two schools of thought on using A/C.

One say that it should be run 24/7/365 regardless of weather to ensure the system remains lubricated and running smoothly. Because in periods of inactivity, can lead to issue, as you are finding out.

The other school of thought is to run it when needed (usually warm :P) - I subscribe to the first because it is only common sense given how the A/C system works.

Yours might be something simple like a regas required, but the system is essentially sealed system and A/C gas just doesn't disappear (if you know what I mean). Hopefully something like a a leaking seal or pipe - but the only way you can accurately diagnose is to pump UV dye into the system and see if there is a leak.

However you get on; do post back your findings just in case it might help others!

The air conditioner should be run at least once a week to ensure the seals do not dry out and hence leak. Car air conditioners do however require re-gassing every few years as a small quantity of refrigerant will leak gradually over time.

Lexus charge around £65.00 to re-gas which should include a pressure check of the system, this will identify any leaks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links