Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dodgy Mgp?

Jamesr4300

Iknow a 2.2 diesel aint gunna be great, but i cant get it above 28mpg????

Really annoying me now :-( bought diesel for bettereconomy

anyone else have this issue??

Nope, I have a 220D sport which I think is a little bit less economical due to its gearing (for instance, on motorway @ 60 the revs are higher than std 220's). Even so, I can get around 34-38 combined (tank average) motorway, A-roads and around town. If I reset on motorway and average 70 I can get ~42-44 mpg.

There are plenty of posts on this subject but a couple of suggestions:

Whats the mileage? may be worth looking at the EGR valve. There are posts on this and how to clean.

Use a good fuel (not supermarket) - I use shell diesel and you do get more MPG (and less smoke).

I have run the last two tanks with Eco Max fuel treatment, get no smoke at all now.

Takes a bit of time to get used to driving the engine properly. Use the torque and keep the revs between 1.5 - 2.5, you dont need to go over really as it thrashes the fuel and the power is between this range. This doesnt mean you have to nurse it everywhere, I dont.

Hi

thanks for that, yeh ive read about the egr valve, its on 66k miles but just had a big service and brand new mot, would it of not been cleaned during this?

Tbf the smoke isnt bad a is intermittent, only get a puff o smoke every now and again usually when its cold

i took it to brum early so did a 60 mile round trip, hovering between 80-90mph in 6th gear and averaged 36mpg

seems to be very hit n miss lol

Hi James

Variability seems to be the norm with this engine. I'm on my second one. 56 plate was averaging around 38 before it went back at 45k miles, but would do 44/45 on long motorway runs.

Current 09 plate with 14 k on clock will do 50 on long motorway (2k revs max) and reasonably clear A road runs, but round town, with lots of stop start and a few hills, will only do 38ish.

Been using Total Excellium fuel. That does give me better mpg, especially on runs.

Seems yours could need a check to ensure settings are all ok.

Hi

thanks for that, yeh ive read about the egr valve, its on 66k miles but just had a big service and brand new mot, would it of not been cleaned during this?

Tbf the smoke isnt bad a is intermittent, only get a puff o smoke every now and again usually when its cold

i took it to brum early so did a 60 mile round trip, hovering between 80-90mph in 6th gear and averaged 36mpg

Hi, the EGR valve is not cleaned as part of the major / interim service or MOT. Lexus will clean it if asked, however, there is a how to here if you want to DIY. Alternatively take it to a trusted independent garage, shouldnt cost you a lot.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=64978&st=0&p=707644&fromsearch=1entry707644

Hi

Hi, the EGR valve is not cleaned as part of the major / interim service or MOT. Lexus will clean it if asked, however, there is a how to here if you want to DIY. Alternatively take it to a trusted independent garage, shouldnt cost you a lot.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=64978&st=0&p=707644&fromsearch=1entry707644

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, i have since this post read up on the EGR DIY clean, may take it to a local independant and bung em £20 or something, i know the garages round here quite well.

MPG seems to be hovering above the 30mpg mark for now, even saw 39mpg yesterday going coventry.

Other than that though the car seems fine.

Ive seen others attribute serious turbo lag with EGR issues and no power below 2000rpm etc. I dont seem to have this, power is plentiful from just over 1000rpm.

Will keep plugging away, get the EGR cleaned and go from their.

Not expecting miracles, nor miracle MPG cus it is a 2.2 after all, but would like to be in touching distance of the qouted figures lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links