Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tuning Box Review

Hi everyone, I posted a few weeks ago asking for any good tuning boxes as a found I could not remap the IS220d. A researched many websites and finally took the plunge with a box from Lindop Toyota after reading several good reviews on a Toyota forum. My car: IS220d 35000 miles 57 plate. Here is my experience:

Ordered 5:20 Wednesday night, was told box would be sent out the next day. It arrived lunch time on Friday. No complaints there. The box itself is labelled "Silverstone Autosport" The claimed figures are 212BHP and 470NM. The box looks and feels high quality. Instructions were A4 printed paper with colour photographs. Installation took 15mins. Would have been faster but the boost pressure sensor location was not as in the photograph so I had to search for it. Apart from this installation was fast.

Test drive: Noticeable extra power and torque. The boost comes in from 1600 (not massively) but the flat spot below 2000rpm is improved (enough for me to notice) The engine revs more freely to the red line but the box seems to improve power the most between 1800-3500 rpm. After this the box has little effect. I'll be honest and say initially I was expecting more "shove in the back" when I floored it but after about 20 mins hard driving the car seemed to "improve". Driving to work this morning I could definately feel the difference (more torque than power). The car does accelerate faster. In higher gears you can feel the extra pull. Although not a rocket it takes away the slightly sluggish feel of the car which seems to plague the IS220d. My mate brought his remapped mondeo ST tdci to "play". (rolling roaded 199BHP and 470NM with D-cat). Up a slight incline he started to catch me as soon as I changed up into 3rd. Maybe its the tall gearing of the Lexus? The Lexus is heavier so my guess is that the box is putting out somewhere close to 200BHP and I can feel the torque so would say the claimed figure to be fairly near the mark.

The box comes with a 2 year warranty and cost £375 delivered. I will post some MPG figures when I've tested it properly.

Hope this is usefull as many of you (like me) probably don't know what to go for as everyone claims theres is the best. Not saying my box is the best but it does work.

• 3 weeks later...

Great review mate!... I have a few questions for ya

1. Does it make the car anyway more smokier ( as in like the vw get that way after putting a box in?)

2. Does it shorting the life span of any components (like the turbo or engine)

3. Can they be shipped to Ireland?

4. Do ya think it is worth the money for it?

Thanks any help will be appreciated!

Great review mate!... I have a few questions for ya

1. Does it make the car anyway more smokier ( as in like the vw get that way after putting a box in?)

2. Does it shorting the life span of any components (like the turbo or engine)

3. Can they be shipped to Ireland?

4. Do ya think it is worth the money for it?

Thanks any help will be appreciated!

To answer your questions:

1. No - my car is fitted with a DPF (diesel particulate filter) which catches any soot. My car does not smoke at all. It never smoked before te tuning box either. I am pretty sure all IS220's have a DPF fitted.

2. Before buying I spoke to the guy a few times. Most tuning boxes connect to the common rail and increase fuel pressure. This one works by increasing the time the injectors are open for so the pressure is not increased (safer) and more fuel is injected to burn. In addition there is a second connector which connects to the boost pressure sensor. The box increases the boost pressure SLIGHTLY to help with the extra fuel being injected. I was told everything was in line with what the engine could handle. Thing is I could have been told complete BULL so rather than read to much into the guy selling it I went over to the Toyota forums where these boxes have been tried and tested with rave reviews. IS220 engine is the same D4D engine used in some Toyotas.

3. No idea - I'm sure they will (might charge you a small amount) Give them a call and ask.

4. Yes. You can definately feelthe power and torque. I took mine off last week as the car was getting some warranty work done. Car felt sluggish. This box is no miracle worker. Don't expect HUGE gains BUT you can definately feel the difference. Shame its £375. Would have been nice if it was £299. If you get one though give it a couple of days . Mine felt alot stronger after I hit 160 miles. More noticable fron 1800-3500 rpm but it still pulls harder to the red line aswell.

Here is the link: I spoke to the parts manager called John. He seemed to know his stuff.

http://www.lindoptoyota.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67

Hope this helps

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't logged on here in a while. I would say MPG is unchanged. I get around 42 doing 80MPH on the motorway (cruise control on the flat)but my journey to work is very stop start country lanes and it sometimes gets down to 30MPG if I'm not careful. Performance is noticeable but not huge as described in my original post. I have had no issues at all since fitting the box. No lights or engine problems. The engine does sound a little louder (when accelerating hard)but you get used to it and I only notice when I have to remove the box when the car is getting serviced at Lexus and it sound quieter. It does work but there are cheaper boxes. However, most boxes only connect to the fuel rail pressure sensor. Mine connects to boost as well. Another box I considered was one from DTUK. They do one which connects to the rail pressure AND crankshaft sensor (to control timing). This box is not advertised on the website but if you call and ask they will explain. Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links