Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Loss Of Power

SteveG

Hi,

I have a 99 GS300 and have had it for coming up to 19 months and coming up to 50k miles driven! And I love it.

I have only been let down by it twice and it has been the same thing!!

last year I was travelling to Glasgow and I had been driving for 2.5 hours no problem then i lost all power and coasted to the hard shoulder!

i was able to start the engine and it would tick over no problem but if i reved it it would cut!!!

I called recovery and when they came it would not even start, he hitched me onto his recovery truck and dropped me to the train station and took my car to his garage to sort!!

i collected it later and he said when he got it to the yard it started no problem and he had been using it all day without a problem!!

i drove it back home and it has not missed a beat since until yesterday coming back from London the same thing. Luckily I was in a free recovery area, they carried my car to there yard where it started up no problem and I have driven it home and to work today!!

I know it’s a long post!

Has anyone got any idea what this may be as I want to get it sorted as it frustrates me that I have not done anything to fix it and its working again!!

Steve

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

We read your forum post about the sudden loss of power for your Lexus GS 300, year 1999 model. We have the exact same car and have the exact same problem with loss of power, the car refusing to accelerate, and the RPM not responding. After restarting the car, the VSC,. VSC off, and Check Engine lights came on. Did you find a solution for your problem?

We have also tried to get this problem fixed in the past but the car mechanics were unable to duplicate the situation, so after a few months, sometimes the problem would suddenly occur again, mostly while driving on the freeway. This seems to be a common problem with Lexus owners but no one has really suggested what the problem might be.

Can anyone please post a reply or update us on what you did to fix this?

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

New to the club and forum.

Yes, I can now join the 'this happened to me club' ~ yesterday!

Signs and symptons as above, attracting the horn blowing and rude gesticulations as it happened at busy traffic lights!

After crawling along using the tick over power and parking up and switching off, the problem had righted itself and a few trips later there has been no repeat.

However, it is daunting and you wonder if the gremlins will happen again?

It is a comfort of sorts to see hear that others have had this problem, and I also would welcome any ideas as to cause and even better, acure!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links