Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Lexus GS300, standard 1997. It's at 130k miles and there's no history as to whether it's had a belt change at 120k miles as it should have. Running great but of course this doesn't mean anything as when it goes it goes. Don't have the money to pay out to a garage + I'm nervous at farming it out anyway given the reported sensitivities of the harmonic balancer and problems with garages heating up the holding bolt etc. So I'm contemplating doing it myself, a couple of questions beforehand:

1. Any definitive guides, written and visual that anyone can link me to or any pearls of wisdom to impart?

2. Can I get sight of the belt fairly quickly without too much work (especially as I'm definitely changing plugs and leads) and if so is there any sure fire way of working out how new the belt is? Stupid question I know as it's just a visual check but is there a wear mark, teeth or something I can measure to establish whether it's done 10k miles or 70k?

3. Is it good practice to change the other belt/belts while it's all apart? Also, any other jobs worth doing or checking on whilst it's open?

4. Given I've read there can be problems with the crankshaft pulley I've found a cheap lightweight one on Ebay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220468804533&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT a good idea or to be avoided?

5. Found this timing belt kit on Ebay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-Timing-Belt-Kit-GS300-3-0-2JZGE-JT8BD69S-/260617147898?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cadfe15fa does it look okay or should I be going genuine?

6. Is there anyone in the South East area (I'm in Medway, Kent) who has the crankshaft holding tool that's willing to hire it to me? Or any tricks of the trade to get it off without bespoke tools. I can do basic welding so if anyone's improvised a tool before I'm all ears.

I use the car for my daily commute so preparation/time is of the essence, I have to do the work over a weekend ready for Monday's commute ideally so any bits needed in advance have to be planned.

Thanking you in advance for any responses.

Sunny.

Hi Sunny

I'm new to Lexus having just bought a 99 GS300 SE, it has a couple of faults but nothing I can't sort out and looks like a 2 year old car inside.

Thankfully the cam belt had been swapped about 2000 miles before I had it, but the idiot that changed it heated the crankshaft bolt and ruined the damper. I just thought I had a squealing belt so I swapped it without checking the fit as it was new but the squeal came back! So I bought a Lexus belt from the dealer only to find I could put it on without releasing the tension on the adjuster!!!

So I went back to the dealer (Lexus Nottingham) for them to have a look as to why the belt wouldn't fit. The parts guy spotted the problem instantly, that the damper was missing the outside part.

This wasn't obvious if you had never seen one before as there was still the groove part on, (I wondered why the pulley was rubber?) You guys that have changed one will know what I mean.

I was going to put one of those alloy crank pulleys on but after reading the horror stories I decided to buy the genuine part.

1. If you search youtube you will find there are videos on there like this

that will help you.

2. By taking off the front engine cover you can easily see the belt.

3. The 'fan' belt is the easiest one you will ever change, it takes seconds.

4. See above.

5. Don't know !

6. I used a hand impact wrench from Machine Mart or they are on eBay like this item 190400304542. They are worth their weight in gold it will make short work of removing the pulley bolt, believe me no messing with crankshaft holding tools or using the starter. Just use an impact socket with this tool.

Good luck.

PS I'm loving the GS300 SE

Gordon

Hi Sunny

I'm new to Lexus having just bought a 99 GS300 SE, it has a couple of faults but nothing I can't sort out and looks like a 2 year old car inside.

Thankfully the cam belt had been swapped about 2000 miles before I had it, but the idiot that changed it heated the crankshaft bolt and ruined the damper. I just thought I had a squealing belt so I swapped it without checking the fit as it was new but the squeal came back! So I bought a Lexus belt from the dealer only to find I could put it on without releasing the tension on the adjuster!!!

So I went back to the dealer (Lexus Nottingham) for them to have a look as to why the belt wouldn't fit. The parts guy spotted the problem instantly, that the damper was missing the outside part.

This wasn't obvious if you had never seen one before as there was still the groove part on, (I wondered why the pulley was rubber?) You guys that have changed one will know what I mean.

I was going to put one of those alloy crank pulleys on but after reading the horror stories I decided to buy the genuine part.

that will help you.

4. See above.

5. Don't know !

6. I used a hand impact wrench from Machine Mart or they are on eBay like this item 190400304542. They are worth their weight in gold it will make short work of removing the pulley bolt, believe me no messing with crankshaft holding tools or using the starter. Just use an impact socket with this tool.

Good luck.

Gordon

Cheers for the extensive reply Gordon, much appreciated. I chickened out in the end, saw a lovely GS300 SE on eBay over the weekend; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110556418857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and snapped it up. I worked out that by the time I paid for the cam belt change, sorted out the other bits on my GS i.e. CD player, electric aerial, recon the wheels etc. I'd end up paying more so bought it all done already. I'll be selling the "old" GS300 but with the info. it will need cambelt change.

If I hang on to the "new" GS300 SE for 3yrs it will need changing so I'll keep your advice in mind. For info. I was quoted £297 by the local Toyota main dealer; 4hrs labour as I was scared off by the horror stories of non dealer garages going at it with blow torches etc.

Thanks again,

Sunny

Hi Sunny

that will help you.

4. See above.

5. Don't know !

Good luck.

Gordon

Oh, and just checked out the youtube link; well found looks like it has everything you need. Had previously looked up the crank pulley holder, sourced in America on eBay for about £60 all in; now that I've seen how it works I'd definitely consider buying it if I did the job myself.

Thanks again :D

Sunny

Hello Sunny,

In my experience, it's a fairly straight forward job mechanically. It's the undoing of the crankshaft nut that's the challenge! These are the extension bar lengths I ended up using to get the thing off when I did it:

med_gallery_30717_4_38514.jpg

A holding tool is easy to make up as you have two threaded holes in the crank for m8 bolts. This is a photo of the holding tool I threw together (notice the bent lever showing how well set the nut is):

med_gallery_30717_4_25837.jpg

As you're doing the job, you may as well also changed the accessory belt and spark plugs - perhaps even check valve lash if you're so inclined as they're supposed to be all part of the same 64k service.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links