Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any 98-00 Ls400 Control Arm And Bushing Info Please.

Luke Jones

I have a '98 VVTI model LS400 210k miles. When I gently use the brakes at above say 40mph i get a lot of shake on the steering wheel and can feel the whole car going with it. If i press brake harder the pulsing stops, if i brake sharply i get quite a metal on metal sounding clunk. If I'm at 20mph, gentle braking doesnt seem to cause any problems. I suspect this is a worn bushing somewhere on the control arms and from reading this forum's previous posts, probably a failed UCA bush, poss ball joint. Infact there is a nocking over rough surface/small pot marks in the road, which might lean to ball joint..

Couple of patchy areas here, a few questions that no doubt others will ask in future..

Can the balljoint be replaced in the arms (upper or lower) , or is it only possible to replace the whole arm.

Poly bush kits exist for 94-97 models but not 97-00, are they the same kit really as both models have ucf20 chassis (is that correct) ARB is different diameter i am aware.

Is the UCA bushing plastic like i read somewhere, and not rubber? Can it be replaced by shore 80 or 90 PU or does a dealer sell replacement plastic bush shells for the arms?

I have a bit of custom work experience and will be making any bushings that are not available off the shelf using a PU liquid rubber kit for making ARB and control arm donut bushes on lorries and buses. Some idea of how much over diameter the after market kits are would be useful for preloading info.

I will be keeping pictures and notes for a writeup, and any molds i make will be reusable to keep producing parts in future.

Thanks for that Richard, will help me identify what needs replacing. Still, I will want as much info as possible on the bushes because I would like to swap them all to poly when I do what is needed to restore the front end stability.