Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looks Like Our Holiday Is Now Off! :o(

waveydavey

We were meant to be going away to Brussels for a break tomorrow through till Sunday but looks like it's all off now with the weather. Had nearly a foot of snow overnight on top of the 4 or 5 inches we already had and with no trains, buses or taxis in the area due to the weather it's looking like we've no way of getting to Sheffield station in the morning to get our train to London for the Eurostar.

Spoken to the Eurostar people and they will be able to refund or change dates etc... as long as we contact them over an hour before the train is meant to leave so that's ok... Hotels a different matter though. Was booked in the Novotel in central Brussels and turns out the room is a no cancellation room so we can't get a refund from them (£340), Phoned the travel insurance company and they won't pay out because it looks like we bought our insurance a day late.... We bought it the day after the insurance company have the severe weather warnings going out so they won't pay as they see it as officially we would have known there was a chance we wouldn't be able to go!!!

Only hope is putting a claim in via the credit card company as we paid for the hotel on our visa card. Spoke to them on the phone and explained everything and they have given me the relevant online forms to fill in and print out to send in to them to hopefully get something back but i'm not too hopeful.

We even thought about getting a hotel room in Sheffield centre for tonight so as to just walk to Sheffield station in the morning but they've just stopped all the trains on our line into Sheffield so we can't even do that now.

And just to top it off there's more heavy snow forecast for later today and overnight into tomorrow!!!

Cheers

(A rather down in the dumps) Dave.

Would if we could.... If we could get either car out we'd drive into Sheffield and leave the car in the station car park but it's just getting the car into Sheffield never mind London. :( It's just been on the news that it's the worst recorded snowfall in Sheffield for 30 years!!!

I'm starting to feel like just walking round to the local and getting pished instead. :crybaby:

Cheers

Dave.

Would if we could.... If we could get either car out we'd drive into Sheffield and leave the car in the station car park but it's just getting the car into Sheffield never mind London. :( It's just been on the news that it's the worst recorded snowfall in Sheffield for 30 years!!!

I'm starting to feel like just walking round to the local and getting pished instead. :crybaby:

Any car parts stores nearby where you might be able to get some snow chains/socks?

That's a real bummer, especially that you can't claim via your travel insurance..........your plan B does now sound like the best option unfortunately..... :shutit:

Hi Dave,

your situation really sucks!

I know how you feel, last year we got caught up in the volcanic ash clould situation, at the last minute we were able to fly but you have my sympathy.

Steve.

Hi guys,

Well after all that we made it in the end.

We ended up getting up at 4:30am yesterday and walking to the local station. We got the train into Sheffield station and then managed to get a train down to St Pancras International. We arrived there about 3 hours earlier than need be which is a good job as all but three of the Brussels trains had been cancelled and ours was one of the three still running.

We checked in three hours early and were moved from our booked coach/seats into another coach and then sat waiting. Our train was announced and was said to be leaving roughly on time..... then another announcement to say it had a fault and we would have to wait for it to be replaced with another train. it should have departed at 12:57 but we finally got on the train at 14:30 before leaving just after. We ended up losing our booked little two seat table in first class for two airline style first class seats but ended up being upgraded to business premier with a full three course meal and free wine so can't complain. We finally walked into the hotel at around 7:30pm last night rather than the planned 4:30pm. So around 15 hours in total!!!

Just had a walk round the shops this afternoon and come back to the hotel bar where i'm typing this on the biggest mac i've ever seen!!!

Cheers

Dave (In a very very chilly Brussels).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links