Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test Drive Experiences

Goggy

When I was in the market for a new car I got it down to three I was interested in. The new CT was about to arrive and I was waiting to hear when I could have a test drive. The other two were the Audi A3 and the VW Golf. As I wanted an auto which would do about at least 40mpg, ideally 50mpg and as I wanted a good spec it soon became clear that all three would be in the £24,000+ bracket.

So, off I went to the local VW dealer. I wanted a test drive in an diesel auto, as that is what I wanted, but they only had a manual. They did have a low mileage auto coming in and I agreed to wait for that. A few days later I had the call I could test drive it and booked it for a few days further on when the car would be available. The day before the test drive I had another call saying the car was no longer available as it had been sold. They did say another would be in soon and they would let me know when. A week later and another phone call to say the Golf was now not sold and a test drive was available the next day. I was out all morning but went to the garage at the pr-arranged time early afternoon. However, when I arrived I was told the car was sold again so not available for a test drive. Seemingly, they did try and contact me but I was out. Grrrrrr. I said I would wait for another auto to become available. I waited, and waited, no phone call came, so I gave up on them.

I approached another main dealer. They had two second hand, low mileage, auto’s in stock! Great! But although I was free all that day, the salesman was committed elsewhere and asked if I would come back. This wasThursday. I could do Friday? No, he was off that day! The only day I was free the following week was Monday morning. ‘Yes’, he said keenly, that was fine. Monday morning came and I was just about to leave when the phone rang. ‘Sorry sir,’ I am tied up this morning, can you come this afternoon?’ ‘No, I am busy’ was my reply. I was somewhat fed up by now and when the salesman suggested I rang back another time I said fine and hung up. Oh, and one more thing. When I asked how long would it take to order a new car, there was a sharp intake of breath and a shaking of head. ‘At least 6 months’ I was told! Talk about a turn off. So, as they obviously did not want my business and I was not happy about how I was being dealt with I decided to forget a VW.

Audi next, so I went to my local dealership. No A3 auto diesels in stock (this was on Friday) but I was told they would be able to get one on Monday or Tuesday. They would ring me back on Monday to confirm when I could test drive one. I left my number but never heard from them again!

Then I had a phone call from my local Lexus dealership which had just had their three demonstrator CT’s arrive. I booked a spot, arrived at the agreed time. I did the usual paperwork, over a coffee and had the test drive. My wife was not available on that day, so another test drive was booked. Arrived at the agreed time and had another cup of coffee while we waited for the car to bought to us. The Lexus dealership could not have been more helpful. Guess which car we bought? Okay, not just because of how I was treated, the car was good too, but they did make me feel I was important to them. In all three VW and Audi dealerships I felt like I was an unwanted inconvenience.

gotta love Lexus Customer Service.

Lexus Poole are my local and treat their customer really well too. I had a CT test drive and they were really great, no pressure either which was nice.

Yep I test drove one from lexus dealer in Newcastle and even though I was considering as a company car which wouldn't be sourced through them they were very helpful. Go into any other dealer mention company car and salesman run for the hills as they don't get the commission. I was very pleased with lexus and even wrote to the dealer principle

I test drove the CT200h today, as part of a hybrid drive challenge, and although I drove it like I was an hour early for something, it returned 70mpg, I was impressed, but more so, with the refinement, after my IS 250, I expected it to be a bit harsh, being 4 cylinder, but at no point was i aware of the engine cutting in.

The interior was great and the driving position was the best i have had in all my cars so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, same experience here.

Went in to see if they had a rav4 or a rx400h wanted to see both (its a shared toyota/lexus dealership) had neither, but showed us around the workshops, and took us out for a spin in the ct200.

Ended up with a second hand rx400h, but what a nice experience.

The ct200. What can i say. Just a really nice quiet and comfortable car to drive.

Very economical and decent handling, without being bone jarring. Very very nice.

But need the rx for the dog!

yes, my IS250 was in for servicing in Leicester yesterday and I asked for a CT200 as a courtesy car. I was given a white SE-L and quite liked it. Overall not as good looking or quite as refined as the IS but not at all bad. The ride was very much better than I had been LED to expect - firm but well controlled- and I could easily live with that (if you want to experience a really hard ride try a Smart coupe wth Brabus wheels and suspension)

There was some tyre noise, but plenty of power, good handling and a nice interior. I have the old style touch screen satnav on my IS but liked the new style mouse driven one. The CT200 I was given lacked the ML stereo of my IS250 and I don't know if it had HIDs, but otherwise it ticked the right boxes and may be a sensible car for me to retire with a couple of years. Perhaps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links