Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust Rattle?

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is a common problem on the IS200 series but suspect I might have a middle cat which is on its way out.

Getting a metalic/rattle type noise when I accelerate sometimes usualy under load ie uphill and seems to be coming from the mid section. Tried revs when stationary and cannot reproduce the noise.

Only just started and can almost desribe it as a pinking type noise but only happens very occasionaly.

How many cats are on the lexus IS200 exhaust system and should I just take the plunge and look at getting the exhaust system replaced or is it worth living with it for now until it gets worse ie does it all the time?

How much for a replacement or maybe get second hand off e-bay?

I have no failure or warning lights and the acceleration and power is good also so wonder if it is worth taking to an exhaust place to see if they can spot any problems and hope I dont get fobbed off etc.

Thanks everyone

I had this on my 200, and i understood it was not unusual, and was a heat shield happily vibrating away. Some I think removed the shield, but i didn't fancy that. Others will answer I am sure, but don't assume exhaust is u/s.

Well the car is in the garage on wednesday so hopefully it will be nothing more than a heatshield.

I believe that the Lexus IS200 has two pre cats on the front of the exhaust, a main cat in the centre and then silencer in the rear.

With luck it will be a cheap fix but not holding my breath!

Thanks again

Well the car is in the garage on wednesday so hopefully it will be nothing more than a heatshield.

I believe that the Lexus IS200 has two pre cats on the front of the exhaust, a main cat in the centre and then silencer in the rear.

With luck it will be a cheap fix but not holding my breath!

Thanks again

hi mate

just wondered how you got on with the exhaust rattle as i think i have an identical problem

not taken it anywhere so would be interested how your car got on

thanks

kirk

Hi mate,

Well there are replacement exhaust parts including cats on e-bay so had my eye on them in case the garage diagnosed these as the problem.

Car on ramp, exhaust checked for rust, loose mounting and also cats checked by banging when cold to see is these were breaking up. All fine.

There are some plastic trim strips underneath the car running alongside the exhaust. These are bolted on and one of the bolts had come away from the car leaving the plastic trim hanging down loose by a small amount.

Basicaly when tapped these made the same noise and one can imagine the noise should the wind catch the trim at speed.

So luckily a quick self tapper and the trim is now tight again so hopefully a quick fix.

Hope this helps cheers

Wayne

Hi mate,

Well there are replacement exhaust parts including cats on e-bay so had my eye on them in case the garage diagnosed these as the problem.

Car on ramp, exhaust checked for rust, loose mounting and also cats checked by banging when cold to see is these were breaking up. All fine.

There are some plastic trim strips underneath the car running alongside the exhaust. These are bolted on and one of the bolts had come away from the car leaving the plastic trim hanging down loose by a small amount.

Basicaly when tapped these made the same noise and one can imagine the noise should the wind catch the trim at speed.

So luckily a quick self tapper and the trim is now tight again so hopefully a quick fix.

Hope this helps cheers

Wayne

Well guys,

The old rattle noise is back!!

So much for thinking it was the loose trim, never an easy cheap fix eh!

Well going in for another check and suspect from this forum that it could be either a bearing in the alternator, water pump on the way out, heat shield vibrating at certain RPM or possibly tensioner.

We will see but the noise only happens occasionaly and at certain revs.

Thought it sounded a bit like having stones on your tyres but sometimes if I sit and rev the engine, I can get the noise to come and go. Damned annoying so want to get to the bottom of it in case it could lead to a more serious problem/failure.

Standby for more update and no doubt more expense!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Well after taking the car to two seperate garages, none were able to recreat the noise after taking it out for a test drive.

Managed to get the noise back myself with very slight rev on engine from idle with the windows down. Noise definately coming from centre section of exhaust just under drivers seat.

Took it to an exhaust centre who have bent the heat shield away from the centre cat pipe so this might well be the problem.

Failing this, the centre cat so I am told might start to be breaking up so might well need to be replaced in time but bottom line from garage is to live with it as quite an expensive exhaust to replace and also the fact that you cant always replace just the one section due to the bolts being fused and parts being heat welded together so may need to replace the complete exhaust system.

So there you have it, not an engine problem thankfully just annoying exhaust rattle on an otherwise quiet sounding car.

Wonder how many others have had similar or shall we say might develop the very same symptom in due course.

One to watch anyhow

Cheers

Wayne

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links