Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stolen NX found and recovered, what now?

My Lexus NX was stolen from Essex on 13th March 2024 by CAN theft. Yesterday, 27 March, it was found by police and taken in to the pound for forensics. 

But now I have a ton of questions. 

The policeman was with the car when he called and ran through everything in the car and it seems like nothing has been taken - not even my Oakley sunglasses and a few other expensive items. He was describing the contents of the car exactly as i always leave it. I don't even think they opened the glove compartment. So this is all good.

However, he said there is some damage from where they have pulled out wires looking for a tracker. I don't know the extent of this damage and I don't even know where this would be? Does this mean they ripped the dash completely off? I don't know. 

Can this damage be fixed? What about the CAN? I am assuming that the car cannot be driven and I'll have to get it transported to Lexus once released from the pound. 

Then my next concern is insurance - I've already sent them the logbook and keys. The claim is still in process and no settlement figure has been given to me or even discussed yet. Do I get these items back? Do I have to get a new set of keys and start over? Do I need to apply for a new log book? The pound will only release when presented with the logbook, which insurance have so this leaves me confused and very anxious. 

I do want my car back but I have concerns, however even if I didn't want it back, I wouldn't have a choice because it's been found, is this right? 

Has anyone been through this? Any help is appreciated! 

Edit to add: I've also already notified the DVLA. If I get it back, do I have to redo all the on the road bits? I've looked for information on this but nowhere has any clear cut info. 

Edited by LadyToeBeans

24 minutes ago, LadyToeBeans said:

I do want my car back but I have concerns, however even if I didn't want it back, I wouldn't have a choice because it's been found, is this right?

Not necessarily, that would be for the insurance company to decide, as it stands they could face a considerable repair bill and rental car costs so may still prefer to write off the car.

Regarding the damage - hard to say where they pulled the wires and where they looked for the tracker. I would assume it would be rather minimal in driver/passenger footwells... and I assume car would still be drivable as otherwise it is not good for them either. But hard to say without seeing it.

That said car still be written off for damages as replacing wires, dash etc. may be very expensive, so this is what insurance will have to decide, but also obviously a lot depends on you - some people really want their car back and demand it to be repaired... considering it is relatively new car I believe it should be possible (to negotiate with insurance to repair it), other people don't want to take stolen car back, both for practical and emotional reasons and still demands for cash settlement. This is something you will need to negotiate with insurance. 

In principle all things related with logbook, recovery, keys etc. All these things the insurance will have to arrange and resolve. 

I understand that impound lot won't release the car without logbook, but also I am not sure there is any benefit for you picking it up with the damage, so just contact insurance and arrange for them to deal with recover.

In mean time I cannot see any reason why you cannot go to impound lot and pick-up your personal items, police should allow this. Also if you decide to take cash settlement and leave the car for insurance to deal with, then you still have right to pick-up your personal items.

Once you get the car back to you fixed, the normal things will apply - you will need to insure it (unless you still have remaining insurance on it and they continue to cover it), pay road tax if payable, do MOTs etc. 

4 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Not necessarily, that would be for the insurance company to decide, as it stands they could face a considerable repair bill and rental car costs so may still prefer to write off the car.

I hadn't thought of that, thank you. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links