Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Hybrid System

Hi all having just sold my beloved RX300 which never had any problems I have just taken the plunge and bought a rx400h 2006. however on the day of delivery the VSC light came on it went to lexus where they said there was a sensor problem it was dirty they cleaned it and also fixed the recall problem on it. ok I drove it 120 miles to and from Bristol airport it was ok then this morning i had the check hybrid/ VSC light come on again with the usual warnng lights, there sounded like a ticking noise in the rear of the vehicle and there was a smell or burning??? could just be me though.is this the air suspension?? to be honest I am loosing faith in the vehicle and I think there is a major problem with it luckily I bought it from a large dealership not lexus tho. any thoughts anyone? are there steering problems with this car?? the 4wheel allignment done by lexus when they had it in as it was pulling to the right they did it but its still not right either...

OK, i'm an RX400h owner, so I have some insight, but please don't take my answers as definitive.

Can't answer the burning smell at all, but my guess is that if it were electrical or similar it would have showed up in 120 miles.

The suspension is not air, as per the RX300, it's simply coil springs - if the ride hasn't upset you I guess the loss of the complexity is a good thing!

The RX400h does make some odd ticking & whirring sounds at start up & shut down - took me a while to get used to it too. In the main it seems to be because all the stuff that's engine driven in an RX300 is electric driven in an RX400h.

Things like the power steering pump, the climate control - you'll no doubt have noticed that the engine doesn't star in the same way as your past RX300 too, all part of owning a Hybrid.

The pulling to the right could be down to something as simple as tyre pressures or tyre wear, so I'd start there, especially if there has already been a 4 wheel alignment.

Unless...... if it is only when you pull away under firm acceleration, because the RX400h is fundamentally front wheel drive & all that engine power causes something called "torque steer" which is down to the front tyres trying to put all that energy onto the road through only the front wheels.

Either way a reputable tyre company should be able to advise you if the tyres are at fault or not.

Hope that helps

Marty.

Hi sorry to read about your rx problems.I have just bought a 55 rx400h,when i tried the car it pulled badly to the left the dealer lexus hedge end said it was down to the tyres.when i collected the car they said it was all sorted and had cost them £200.I took delivery and it did feel better but still not right so took it to a tyre dealer who has looked after my previous cars and always gives good advice.when they checked the rx in their words "it was a mess" all the tracking and geometry was out and the car was "crabbing"after they corrected it the rx felt great.try and find a tyre dealer who uses computerised tracking geometry and the staff to use it.

Regards and good luck.Kevin.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links