Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just noticed that my mirrors will not tilt up or down. Left or right movement is fine but no up or down movement. I can hear the motor when i press the switch. Any ideas how to remedy this?

I have a 55 plate too and my drivers side mirror occassionally refuses to move horizontally , the vertical movement is fine on both and I use that for reversing, My lexus dealer quoted £350 for a new one , no offer of investigation or repair just a new one . Guess what I did ?:crybaby:

I've got a 55 plate model,so I guess that means a trip to the dealer. I think I can live with it for now, as the mirrors are as big as flying saucers.

The motors run then, so if you are mechanically adept, you should be able to see if a plastic gear has stripped - or more likely coupling rods popped out (usually ball & socket arrangements) because the mirror has been forced or moved with ice in it. But you need to get at the works, and this usually involves removing the mirrored glass & heating element first. I don't know how you do this on the Lexus; but someone on here can probably tell you. It will be the same procedure as for replacing the mirror-glass. Best left for a warm day because frozen fingers will break something.

I have the same problem on my IS220D up/down ok but no in/out.

First happened on drivers side then on passanger.

I have taken the mirrors apart (not really that fiddly) they have two motors in each mirror, one for up/down and one for in/out.

On pressing the direction button i could here the relay in the door clicking so gathered its the actual motor.

All the plastic worm drive was fine and all greased well.

I popped the little motor out its craddle and it spins freely in hand, put it back in. It then worked several revolutions then stopped again.

Removing it again and tapping hard with the back of a screwdriver has allowed it to work for severl months but now has the fault sometimes happening again.

I put it down to the motors being the problem. (maybe carbon build up off the brushes?)

They are a sealed metal case, crimpted over type motor very much like a Scalextric one.

If you could buy them they certainly wouldnt be expensive, but have no idea where!

I think the problem of the auto dipping mirrors not always dipping the same amount (which i sometimes get) is because the dip function engages a relay for an amount of time and depending on how eager the motor is to work and spin varys the dip level.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links