Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Refurbing Wheel Hub/bell

Hi guys.

Need to clean and paint my wheel hubs or bells, whatever they are called as they are rusty as hell and let the car down. Anyone know of anywhere that does them in the Derby area? Can I just take it to an alloy wheel refurb place?

Best way is doing it yourself....

get some hammerite (colour of your choice) and a steel wire brush (preferably the power-drill type)

remove the wheels attack the hubs with the steel wire brush on your power-drill

then paint it with the hammerite...

let it dry and job done...

You need the ceramic version that can withstand heat ( they come in black/white/aluminium/red/RS-blue)

You can get the spray-can type I would go for High gloss finish colour is up 2 you.... all-though you can get the one you have to brush on as this is less messy (read less masking)

Now it is all up to you which route you go but it comes down to the type of paint you get...

best result is 3 layers and a hair dryer or paint stripper to speed up the drying process.

if you work your way around the car you'll notice that if you apply it in thin layers by the time you did al 4 corners when you get to the first one you started with it is already dry ( meaning that if you put the car on axle stands you don't have to wait until the first layer is dried so you can apply another layer)

Also it doesn't hurt to keep the colours coded (hammerite works wonders on the brake calipers 2 so if you have the calipers painted it wouldn't hurt to use the same colour)

I did them on my car and as my car is kensington green I went for High gloss black hammerite (brush on paint) and did the calipers, hubs, disk edges(as they where nasty rusted) and the shield behind the brakes....

Needles to say it looked amazing even had someone asking me if the brakes where aftermarket and where i bought them, as they looked brand new and bigger then the originals.... (yeah to attention to detail!!!! :D )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links