Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Contacts Change And Security Code Reset

Just changed the starter contacts on my '98 Mk 4, this should link to some pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/108236429772687690224/Lexus98StarterContacts?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Took me the best part of 3 days (ok I watched a bit of tennis, too) I take my hat of the those who can do it in a day, maybe I'm getting old.... I do have LPG, so there was more stuff to disconnect, work round. I have some respect for LPG fitters, they must have taken the manifold off, too

I reconned the line of least effort was to change the contacts with the starter in position, because even if I got the rear water bridge off, I wasn't sure I would be able to get at the starter bolts with the tools I have. Some people bent up ring spanners, but I tried that, it doesn't work on a cold spanner, some welding torch heat required, I think.

I took off the front water bridge so I could move the front/ rear water pipe out of the way, then cut off part of the wiring harness plastic cover. With a slightly ground down ring key I gor the shallow nuts that hold the contacts in.

I have a 1/4 inch drive socket set, so the slimmer socket fitted the manifold nuts ok, better would have been a long torx bit on a 1/2 inch drive, as I was expecting the 1/4 extention to snap at any minute. The injector rails stay on the manifold, which is heavier than I was expecting.

I felt I was punching above my weight on this one, I guess I cut my teeth on engines back in the day when they were much simpler, and smaller, ie minis and VW Beetles!

Anyway, it burst into life when I had finished, and switched to LPG as per normal, so I got away with it, very much to my relief.

With the Battery disconnected for so long, I had a non functioning main display, asking for a code, which I didn't have. This club came to the rescue, with a post from 2008 by Redsteve, thank you, thank you.

I will take the liberty of repeating the process to remove the code (if originally set) as I think it is a need bit of info for anyone working on the starter !

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (combination meter warning lights illuminated)

While pressing CLIMATE and AUDIO switches simultaneously, turn the HEADLIGHT CONTROL SWITCH in the following sequence:

OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS

The SYSTEM CHECK will become displayed on the screen. It will take approx. 30 seconds for the check to be completed - the display will change from CHECKING to OK

Once all the function checks display OK then press MENU. The one on the display, not the one on the dash The DIAGMENU will be displayed

Starting with the AUDIO button, follow the sequence:

AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION

The SECURITY menu will be displayed. Using the numeric keys enter 440215. Press ENTER

The displaywill return to the DIAGMENU. Switch the IGNITION SWITCH to the OFF position. The security code is now cleared - the unit will operate normally.

PLease ensure that a new security code is re-entered with the customers knowledge.

• 2 months later...

Brilliant post! This will be invaluable to us Mk4 owners when our starters begin to play up in the future (a long way off I hope). Are the contacts the same as on the earlier models? Well done Mybikesacx500, good photo's.

Just changed the starter contacts on my '98 Mk 4, this should link to some pics

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Took me the best part of 3 days (ok I watched a bit of tennis, too) I take my hat of the those who can do it in a day, maybe I'm getting old.... I do have LPG, so there was more stuff to disconnect, work round. I have some respect for LPG fitters, they must have taken the manifold off, too

I reconned the line of least effort was to change the contacts with the starter in position, because even if I got the rear water bridge off, I wasn't sure I would be able to get at the starter bolts with the tools I have. Some people bent up ring spanners, but I tried that, it doesn't work on a cold spanner, some welding torch heat required, I think.

I took off the front water bridge so I could move the front/ rear water pipe out of the way, then cut off part of the wiring harness plastic cover. With a slightly ground down ring key I gor the shallow nuts that hold the contacts in.

I have a 1/4 inch drive socket set, so the slimmer socket fitted the manifold nuts ok, better would have been a long torx bit on a 1/2 inch drive, as I was expecting the 1/4 extention to snap at any minute. The injector rails stay on the manifold, which is heavier than I was expecting.

I felt I was punching above my weight on this one, I guess I cut my teeth on engines back in the day when they were much simpler, and smaller, ie minis and VW Beetles!

Anyway, it burst into life when I had finished, and switched to LPG as per normal, so I got away with it, very much to my relief.

With the battery disconnected for so long, I had a non functioning main display, asking for a code, which I didn't have. This club came to the rescue, with a post from 2008 by Redsteve, thank you, thank you.

I will take the liberty of repeating the process to remove the code (if originally set) as I think it is a need bit of info for anyone working on the starter !

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (combination meter warning lights illuminated)

While pressing CLIMATE and AUDIO switches simultaneously, turn the HEADLIGHT CONTROL SWITCH in the following sequence:

OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS

The SYSTEM CHECK will become displayed on the screen. It will take approx. 30 seconds for the check to be completed - the display will change from CHECKING to OK

Once all the function checks display OK then press MENU. The one on the display, not the one on the dash The DIAGMENU will be displayed

Starting with the AUDIO button, follow the sequence:

AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION

The SECURITY menu will be displayed. Using the numeric keys enter 440215. Press ENTER

The displaywill return to the DIAGMENU. Switch the IGNITION SWITCH to the OFF position. The security code is now cleared - the unit will operate normally.

PLease ensure that a new security code is re-entered with the customers knowledge.

Great post

Hats off to you, daunting task just got the mark 4 but with only 20k on her not likely to be doing this, mark 1 did 190k and never needed it .I believe it as a lot to do with usage rather than mileage my old Mark 1 did 85% of her miles on the motorway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links