Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Shuddering Under Breaking

Larcorcoran

Hey all I have a 04 is200 which I love but have an issue with and I am just looking for some advice from people more knowledgable than myself..as the title of the topic suggests I have shuddering up through the steering wheel under all types of breaking at all speeds above 10mph..I have changed the pads and disks on the front wheels but it has not helped...I have also put 4 new tyres on it?the rear pads are pretty worn but not very badly..should I chance replacing them and rear disks or does anyone have any other ideas??i had it at Toyota mechanic but didn't inspire much confidence that he knew what it was other than saying suspension is perfect!!i really am stumped as to what the problem is and it's starting to become an expensive one!!!thanks in advance

Hi and welcome :)

Sounds like your callipers are sticking. Very common, IS200 is famous for it. I've had two sieze on mine within 6 months.

Check your alloys after driving, they should be warm but not hot. The hot wheel has a siezed calliper. Can you smell friction burning when you get out of the car? And does it pull to one side when braking? These are the symptoms I had as well as the steering wheel judder.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chris sorry didn't reply sooner but couldn't find the post in my account??ya brought it to a second mechanic and he also thinks its the calliper so that is being done this weekend!will let you know the outcome and thanks again for the advice!

Seized caliper symptoms all over. Check temperature like already said. Also good to jack it up and spin each wheel to check further. im afraid this is the only downside of the ownership of a IS. Just curious did you replace discs, pads and tyres because they were all worn?

No the last owner just replaced the discs and pads in August for nct and my mechanic said it was defo them that was the problem but turned out not to be after replacing them 2 weeks ago!!!is it an expensive fix to do the calliper?

A refurb caliper is around £80 including sending old one back. new ones range from £130 - £200 for standard ones. about 1 hour labour. I got a refurb and got a friend mechanic to fit. he charged me £20. total cost £100. now keeping an eye on the other side! but from what ive read seems to be the same side that keep sticking for some reason

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, im also experiencing some shuddering under breaking, it doesnt seem to happen all the time. im getting the the breaks all checked at the weeekend but was wondering if you can point me in the direction of a reconditioned one just incase?

cheers

Latest update is I had 2 completely worn bushings on the front bottom control arms on both sides and of course they are not sold separate but you have to buy the full arm from Toyota so I purchased 2 second hand arms only to discover the bushings are as bad as my own so as we speak it is in the mechanics getting 2 brand new arms fitted and hopefully this will put an end to the shake after I get the tracking done!will keep you posted as to the final result!

• 3 weeks later...

latest update is that the shudder is as bad as it has ever been!!disks,pads and control arms have now been replaced and there doesnt seem to be anything obvious going on the mechanic said !there is now a light on in the dash since this morning with 3 lines coming out from each of the back wheels and as some bright spark took out the owners manual i dont know what it is?any ideas??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links