Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Audio Is200 Noob

Hey all, I'm new here and hope someone can help me, I've searched through the forums but can't seem to find the exact answer I need.

I was to change/adapt the radio in my car as I love my music and mp3's are my choice of audio format. I know the CD changer doesn't take mp3s so I'm wondering what are my options?

1. I already have a 3rd party stereo from my last car and might like to use it.

2. The broadcast radio is brill to have as I never had it in my last car (Audi a4) and don't really want to lose it by changing the radio.

3. I heard there is an amplifier for the stock radio? if so can a 3rd party radio make use of this?

4. I have seen these adaptation kits on eBay to use with stock radio but it doesn't display album or track name on the display. Any way around this?

Thanks for any help guys.

Not sure I can really answer your questions, but I have a Pioneer DEH-X6500-DAB in mine. I used a single DIN adaptor kit (which are not the best quality) but just about do the job - if you want one I have a spare.

If you remove your glovebox, the amplifier will be behind it to the left, if you have one. Mine is just by-passed - the head unit has enough power not to need it. This set up was the least effort (apart from attaching the amp bypass cable to the back of the amp, which I still have scars on the back of my hand from!).

The head unit plays mp3s from CD or from a USB stick slot on the front - I bought a tiny 8GB stick for peanuts off ebuyer, which gives me stacks of space, but is also extremely convenient for taking indoors and putting new stuff on it. The head unit even remembers what it was playing when you put it back in which is cool.

• Like 1

I think the sound quality is good if not better. The standard Lexus unit must be a 15-20 year old design now - I would imagine anything recent would be better.

I get FM/AM from standard aerial and also DAB (digital) from an extra antenna that I mounted on the rear screen.

I'd say that the IS200 is also the easiest car I've ever installed audio in - the head unit comes out very easily - there's no stuffing wires into a single DIN slot and then forcing the head unit in. The only difficult part is the the amp bypass cable, but there are ways of doing that too...

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for the info, do you need an adaptor for the normal antenna? I see it's built into the radio so it doesn't unplug unless a joint comes with the adaption kit? Any kits you can link me to that would work with me? Also dab radio would be awesome.

The normal antenna should pop out of the back of the standard head unit and go straight into the new one. You will probably have to connect the remote power switch from the new head unit to the power cable for the old antenna because it has a signal amplifier (some info here: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83938-aerial-amplifier-wire/).

If you've got the amp, you'll need an amp bypass cable - there are various available on eBay, some people have had problems with the cheaper ones, but mine has been fine.

Here's another thread with some details of fitting in:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83463-single-din-head-unit-adaptor-problems/

The DAB antenna came from dabonwheels (http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/) who have always been very good for me. I used a Kinetic 4001 (http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DEGA-4001_glass_mount_DAB_car_aerial.html ).

I have a spare single DIN adaptor kit (like this) that I don't need. If you want it, PM me your address and I can stick it in the post for you...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought ide add that alot of stuff these days is built to a budget and component quality really does matter when it comes to audio. and personally the stock unit i feel has not with no surface mount amp like most systems and a good old fashioned setup you cannot beat. If going for high end gear i couldnt agree more but just saying youve got to be careful when it comes to audio these days and you definitely pay for what you get. saying that the speakers in the IS are good but maybe not good enough to notice

If you dont want the hassle of changing the head unit dont forget about a GROM type device. It plugs into the back of your original head unit and has the ability to have AUX in and Ipod/iphone in and you can control the ipod with your next track buttons on your IS stereo. The quality is as good as the CD. I got a yatour and it cost £40 to £50 and i ran ipod and aux cables coming out of my handbrake cover. If you go down that route just be careful when removing the radio as it scratches the dash easily sliding out. same for replacing it with something else for that matter

Dont get a FM transmitter the quality is aweful

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links