Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ct200H Parking Brake

benfranc76

I've recently upgraded my is200 to a shiny new ct200h Advance.

The ct200 is great but a very very different drive to the is200. Obviously the change from manual to auto is taking a bit of getting used to but it feels like you're driving a much bigger car than you actually are.

My main query at the moment is the parking brakes - there's an electronic Park button and a manual handbrake. Which one should i be using when idle in traffic? What does the Park button actually do?

The Park Button locks the transmission, effectively in neutral. To move off you have to select drive again. If you select Park without activating the manual handbrake and on a slope, the car will rock forwards or back slightly until the transmission locks and stops the car from moving. If you just engage the manual handbrake when in traffic, you will need to select neutral first as the car will still move against the brake - not a good solution!

To be honest, unless the wait in traffic is longer than about 3 mins, I just hold the car on the foot brake. If its longer and I am on steep hill then I will select neutral and set the manual brake, if on fairly level road I will just press the park button and let the car settle. It's quicker to set off if Park is activated as you just select Drive, rather than also having to let the handbrake off as well.

I worry about selecting the park button when stopping temporarily, at lights for instance. If I was to get a rear-end shunt will it totally knacker my transmission, as well as denting the back of my car?

Therefore, unless it is a short stop, I tend to use the manual handbrake (using the foot) to keep the car still. If it is a very short stop I keep my foot on the footbrake.

SM

I worry about selecting the park button when stopping temporarily, at lights for instance. If I was to get a rear-end shunt will it totally knacker my transmission, as well as denting the back of my car?

Therefore, unless it is a short stop, I tend to use the manual handbrake (using the foot) to keep the car still. If it is a very short stop I keep my foot on the footbrake.

SM

Its a fair point about ruining the transmission in the event of a shunt, my view is similar except for the fact that if the rear end shunt were to be that serious as to ruin the gear box, wouldn't it be better for the car to be written off rather than patched up? Using the park button doesn't worry me quite so much despite the inconvenience of someone else running into the back of my car and losing their no claims discount in the process. I have noted that leaving the car in neutral doesn't charge the traction battery and for that reason I do use the P switch and parking brake when I stop for a while at traffic lights. It helps to focus the mind amidst the boredom of the ever present traffic calming ( pollution encouraging) measures.

SM

Its a fair point about ruining the transmission in the event of a shunt, my view is similar except for the fact that if the rear end shunt were to be that serious as to ruin the gear box, wouldn't it be better for the car to be written off rather than patched up? Using the park button doesn't worry me quite so much despite the inconvenience of someone else running into the back of my car and losing their no claims discount in the process. I have noted that leaving the car in neutral doesn't charge the traction battery and for that reason I do use the P switch and parking brake when I stop for a while at traffic lights. It helps to focus the mind amidst the boredom of the ever present traffic calming ( pollution encouraging) measures.

I am not sure how severe or slight a shunt would need to be though to damage the transmission. I can imagine that a shunt doing only minor bodywork damage would seriously damage the transmission perhaps? I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I was stopped at a roundabout on 6th December using the 'Park button', when I received a trans rectal, (shunt), Boy, did I jump!

I've been driving now for just on 50yrs and it was the first time that I've had to fill in an insurance form, I just did not know how to do it, the other party had to assist me with it, he was Hungarian, bye the way.

I went to the dealer next morning for a check, damage just to rear door and bumper, both have to be replaced, cost about €3,000. The transmission was ok, and has shown no signs of problems since either.

Now, after a cry and a change of underpants I feel better.

post-47562-0-97306700-1387131511_thumb.j

post-47562-0-36884600-1387131523_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links