Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 55 plate IS250 is due for its 60k major service soon. Should I let Lexus carry out the work, or should I take it to my local garage. I just want to make sure all the specific jobs are done as per the owners manual.

It depends on the price, and if you can trust your local garage. I took my old car into a local garage for an MOT and the grease monkeys there left grease marks on the roof lining and the sunvisor.

There's no way in hell I'd let them near the light grey interior of my LS460

The 60K is a biggy service...that is to say ...on the expensive side. Its the plug change one...you don't want those being knacked up by someone who may not be adept. One plug in particular can be a right ball ache by all accounts.

I'd ask my Lexus garage first......has the 60K service been done already.....could well have been done already on year count up. Could have been done in 2012, did you have the car then?

You could also ask your indie if they have specifically done the plug change on a 250 before.

I've had the car two years now. Bought it with 38k on the clock. I had to change the propshaft seal on the gearbox end, and had new transmission fliud put in then.I had the plugs changed about 18 months ago as I was able to purchase them cheaply from the U.S. (£80). I'm more concerned about the differential oil and the transmission filter and oil change.

Lexus Twickenham have quoted me £700 for the 60k service, whilst Lexus Woodford have quoted me £246 for an intermediate service as the spark plugs and transmission oil are only 2 years old. I may take it to my trusted local garage and let him do the intermediate plus all the filters and differential oil.

Hi

The 60K service is a "major" one and covers a lot of items. Although it costs a lot (approx £608 - quote from Lexus Glasgow) if you have a current full service history I would recommend that Lexus do it, unless you have a garage that you trust will in fact do all the work stated and put in the correct oil, fuilds etc and not some cheap rubbish from the local garage.

However it is a lot of money and I can fully understand why you would want to reduce the cost.

I was lucky enough to have purchased my IS250 at 66,000 and the 60K service had been completed by Lexus Carlisle so I have missed that bill, but I did call Lexus to confirm there had been no major issues reported, because it seems strange to pay all that money and then sell it 6,000 miles later. However the report was fine and touch wood the car is running great.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links