Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 01 Cooling Problem

Hi guys,
I've purchased the car two weeks ago. Was planning on major service starting with timing belt and auxiliary belts(as it only came with part history) , but than something unexpected happened I lost the heating yesterday. I only used it to go to the local sainsb(half a mile) , today I have checked it and there was no coolant in there, started topping up from the coolant filler point on the left(if you are in front of the car), but it only took about a litter of coolant, then I popped the radiator cap and filled up another litter. So then I've started the engine and when it got worn, the coolant started to leak for the overflow I guess N/S bottom left. Left it sit out and chill then I've topped up from the filling point as there wasn't any on the scale, took it for a ride to the petrol station(as it happens) half way the temperature was closing to red part of the dail, so I pulled out and turned it off for 30 40 min. Than I barely made it back b4 the guege whent in to the red. The radiator seemed to be cool all the time, there is no circulation. I doubt the water pump was changed, the car has 89k on the clock.
Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I'd start with the cheap and easy option first and change the thermostat as it sounds like it could be stuck or faulty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS-200-300-99-05-OE-Replacement-Thermostat-/400624753036?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d4718998c

ide go with Ians suggestion. doesnt sound like your losing coolant. on a second note if you stand next the the car when it telling you its hot you should feel ALOT of heat coming from the engine area and the fans would be on, so if you dont its prob the sensor

btw my car had no coolant in the tank when i bought mine either! it seems that alot of new owners find this and mine definitely isnt leaking. i think it must just evaporate over time and people forget to top it up. on a plus note at least its had a full flush :)

ide go with Ians suggestion. doesnt sound like your losing coolant. on a second note if you stand next the the car when it telling you its hot you should feel ALOT of heat coming from the engine area and the fans would be on, so if you dont its prob the sensor

Isn't the fan sensor on the radiator block? It doesn't get worm enough for the fans to go. I've ordered the thermostat, if it ain't that would go for water pump. Thank you

Fan sensor is at the bottom left of the radiator as you look at the car. Feel the hose there, if it's not warm/hot then coolant is getting there so therefore not getting to the sensor so the fans don't come on and you overheat. If coolant is getting there then you have a blockage

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links