Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New First Time Buyer About To Buy 2006 Is 200D..what Should I Look For

Read as many posts as you can find on this site relating to the is220d. You need to be well aware of the head gasket/gearbox/clutch issues that owners have experienced.

I know...i had one a few years back.

Look here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/127-lexus-is-250-lexus-is-250c-club-lexus-is-220d-is-200d-club/

Then ask yourself if a petrol auto 250 might not be better?

You need to be doing decent length journeys in the 220d to keep the engine/EGR/DPF in good order. This is not a car to pootle around town in.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade but you need to go in with eyes wide open.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity - what are the clutch and gearbox problems?

As regards the engine and head gasket problems - I would be wary of one that hasn't had the engine replaced (you can check with dealer)

Other than that, they are no less reliable than any other modern diesel IMO. EGR and DPF problems are common among all manufacturers.

• Like 1

I would be looking for full lexus history in the service book for definate.

Also check the coolant in the resevoir,if its anything other than pink i would walk away also check the engine oil for water.

To be honest most of the reported problems seem to happen before 60k miles so i would look for lexus history certainly up to 60k and any issues should have been sorted under warranty by lexus.

I love mine and in my oppinion they are a reliable well built car,just not a town/school run car

• Like 1

i wouldnt worry too much about the 107k miles ,these cars are capable of huge mileage if theyre looked after properley,i would think any issues will have been sorted under warranty with it having lexus history.

The only problems you might have wouldd be DPF if you only drive on short runs and EGR clogging up but to be honest you would have same problem with any turbo diesel of the same age if it doesnt get a motorway run each week.

I have a 2007 with 91k on it and have had no problems ,touch wood.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity - what are the clutch and gearbox problems?

As regards the engine and head gasket problems - I would be wary of one that hasn't had the engine replaced (you can check with dealer)

Other than that, they are no less reliable than any other modern diesel IMO. EGR and DPF problems are common among all manufacturers.

From my own experience of when I had a 220d...

Clutch....The dmf can get somewhat noisy and also feel rather heavy to disengage when changing gear. It was better when I had a new clutch put in at the same time as the new engine.

The gearbox....i found the gearing a bit odd. As if it wasn't well matched to the set up in the car. I found 6th gear utterly useless unless doing 85mph in France. At 70 in this country it felt too high a ratio and caused a fair bit of drone. It just felt wrong in my car. 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third can be a bit notchy on the meshing of the gears.....i found with mine.

I agree to a point on the hg thing but...even when changed there have been a couple of reports of the replacement engines going too. The 09 onwards was...i was told by Lexus...using a modified head. But there have been some my09 engines going too. There was a really informative post some time back by 'Orme' a toyota technician up in Scotland. He put up loads of pictures showing why this particular engine had the head judder that caused the gasket failure. Sadly those pictures are not viewable any more.

You're right to say this is not just a Lexus issue of reliability. I have several friends with Audis & BMW's that have been a nightmare in costs.

I'm not so sure about the post later that says most problems occur before 60k. They can happen at any time. Mine went at 107,000mls and had FLSH with 6 stamps in the book.

Having said that I got very good mpg from mine. It went like the clappers too. Up and going on the motorway it would really shift....and was not noisy at all at speed in 5th. In fact it was jolly nice.

The crucial thing with these...IMO...is to be doing good sized journeys and get that DPF regeneration going. I would not recommend it for a local/town runaround.

Take it on a good test drive and put it through differing driving styles. See if you like it.

• Like 1

I agree that the head gasket can go at anytime,same as on any other car,what i meant was that a lot of lexus owners were getting the gasket go at below 60k and replacement under warranty,some had gone by 25k that ive heard of so its not an age/high mileage issue

Found it!!

Take a read of this, I think it might help. Its just a shame his pics have gone. They were very informative.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/70826-lexus-is220-head-gaskett-gone/

Please understand I am not slating the Diesel, but you should go in with eyes wide open. Its a hell of an expense if it goes. If I recall correctly mine about £4600 or so.

• Like 1

again Normski and Zoran..I am so grateful you have both taken the time to help..extremely informative..my eyes are opening ( I am tempering it with knowledge there will be lots driving about without problems) I do not mind problems they are inevitable, the cost of the 220d problems are a concern though..If I had a good one would I sell it? No way..so why is the one I am looking at being sold ..I am a sceptic..thanks again people..very kind helpful stuff

Glad to be of help patrick.

normski is right in what hes saying,keep your eyes open and be aware as a 220d that goes wrong can be costly,but get a good one and you will love it.

I certainly love mine and wont part with it anytime soon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links