Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lsd On Sports Model

I just read this on Wikipedia:

2005 Model Year

Mechanical:

* Limited-Slip Differential is no longer available with the manual transmission. (This actually took place during the course of the 2004 model year)

Did this take effect in the UK?

I just bought a 54 plate IS200 sport, not taken delivery of it yet, but I understood it would have an LSD. Is there any way to check by looking under the car? How do I tell visually between the standard diff and the LSD?

there is a post going about with this on it will tell you on vin plate you will have to look for post for info m8 it was posted the last few days i think

I have this pic from my car

jhqa9t.jpg

LB20 it's the trim level (leather black?), red mark it's the axle (diff type and ratio, in this case open and 4,100:1) and yellow mark it's the transmision type (auto)

This week I will change my open diff by a torsen and I will upload some pics when finished, you can see the progress in my not very popular or visited IS200 spanish forum :blush:

http://is200foro.forogeneral.es/foro/viewtopic.php?t=5

Well I checked and it says A/TM A03B/J160

Meaning Axle/Transmission I guess?

Anyway the B is there so looks like LSD, interseting it has A03B though, the posts I've read all say A02A or A02B.

Check with another LOC member will also have A03* code (if auto A01A), A01* and A02* used in Altezza.

Anyway congratulations for your LSD.

The most conclusive way would be to jack the rear of the car and rotate one wheel by hand, if the opposite wheel rotates the opposite direction you dont have an LSD, if it stays still or rotates in the same direction, you do.

You're wrong, that is true in conventional LSD but not in the torsen.

This is my new torsen differential:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=CmNdY-9yYZ8

Atleast in Spain it's the first IS200 auto with lsd :hehe:

Here look better

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0uSCmrNc8&...feature=related

More info about LSD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

Geared Torque-Sensitive Differential

Geared, torque-sensitive mechanical limited slip differentials utilize worm gears to "sense" torque on one shaft. The most famous versions are:

Torsen differential invented by Vernon Gleasman in 1958, then sold to Gleason Corporation, who started marketing it in 1982;

Quaife differential, sold under the name Automatic Torque Biasing Differential (ATB), covered by European Patent No. 130806A2.

Eaton Corporation differential, sold under the name Eaton Detroit Truetrac.

Geared LSDs are less prone to wear than the clutch type, but both output shafts have to be loaded to keep the proper torque distribution characteristics. Once an output shaft becomes free (e.g., one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential.

Geared LSDs are dependent on the torque and not on the speed difference between the output shafts. Such differentials may not be adequate on extremely slippery surfaces such as ice (or thin air, when a drive wheel loses ground contact altogether) [3].

Geared LSDs may be used:

to reduce torque steer in front-wheel drive vehicles;

as a center differential in four-wheel drive (e.g., on the Audi Quattro);

in rear-wheel drive vehicles, to maximize traction and make oversteer easier to manage (as in drifting). Although, for extreme drifting, a geared LSD is less effective compared to a clutch type LSD.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links