Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scraping And Clunking From The Rear Passenger Wheel

andeesmith

ive a IS200 sport ive noticed recently that every now and then i get a scrapeing noise from the rear wheel, it usually goes away after about five miniuts but also twice ive a had it clunk extremely loudly(two loud clunks)as if something has broken on it ive had to pull over to check my susspention hasnt snapped does anyone have any ideas what this maybe???

ive a IS200 sport ive noticed recently that every now and then i get a scrapeing noise from the rear wheel, it usually goes away after about five miniuts but also twice ive a had it clunk extremely loudly(two loud clunks)as if something has broken on it ive had to pull over to check my susspention hasnt snapped does anyone have any ideas what this maybe???

could it be brakes,suspention,or even the drive shaft

This may sound cheeky,but has it been after the cars wet or damp weather ?,could be h/brake shoes rubbing or sticking due to light surface rust.

no its been happening while dry it doesnt do it all the time well the scraping is more often than the clunks i thought it may be the brakes but have looked at them and they seem all ok

Hi, do you get the problem when turning one way only. I had the same problem, I took the rear brake discs of and found that there are two pins holding the brake shoes for the handbrake. One of the pins was bent and this meant the shoes were moving and rubbing against the casing. I removed the pins and straightened, refitted with the springs and no longer have the problem. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there just thought I would add to this, I too had the same problem. Same noises and everything.

Took wheel off and drum to find that either the handbrake adjuster had come of or one of the springs. Anyway they were all inside the handbrake drum. But mangled up. Straightened up the washers and put them back on and it's totally stopped.

Looking for the adjuster part on the Internet but as mine is an auto don't really need to rush around for one.

Hope this helps. Let us know what the problem was though.

Jamie

There's a handbrake cable guide that is only held onto the backplate on the inside of the rear hub by a spot weld. Unfortunately the weld can suffer from corrosion which causes the steel guide to fall off and rattle around inside the hub. Depending on what it gets caught in/on it makes various scraping or clunking noises which come and go.

I had the noises you describe on my IS200 Sport and found what was left of the guide inside the offside rear hub. It had pushed one of the handbrake shoes out of position, but fortunately did not cause any real damage to the shoes or hub. I decided to check the nearside so removed the hub and found the guide on that side to still be in position, but when I put a little pressure on the guide the spot weld gave way so I removed the guide.

The car has been absolutely fine without the guides in place, so they don't appear to be completely necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links